On the cover of this month's Indie Next list is THE BONE CLOCKS: A Novel, by David Mitchell
View from a bookseller
Indie Next authors talk about their books...
Chelsea Cain introduces her new book, ONE KICK: A Kick Lannigan Novel, about which Marquietta Buffaloe from Books & Books in Bal Harbour, FL says: “Cain’s newest is a gut-wrenching tale of crimes against children and of an unlikely hero, a victim-turned-survivor. Kathleen ‘Kick’ Lannigan was kidnapped at age six, and spent almost six years with a child pornographer who forced her to become a child porn film star. Now 21, she is damaged yet self-reliant, trained in self-preservation and security techniques. Kick is approached by a mysterious stranger who is determined to use her to help him find two kidnapped children. What follows is a story of how the past both helps and hurts us, the blurred lines of justice, and ultimate resilience in the face of evil.”
Indie Next around the web. . .
“Told brilliantly through a beleaguered creative writing professor’s letters of recommendation for students over the course of one school year, Dear Committee Members is a hilarious and surprisingly poignant pleasure to read. From postscripts directed to his ex-wife to rants about the lauded economics department at his university to sincere interest in an advisee’s success, Jay Fitger’s letters are blisteringly honest, if not always flattering. This book delightfully critiques the state of the humanities in American universities with erudite allusion and dry wit.”
Why shop Indie?
When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:The Economy
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
Now is the time to stand up and join your fellow individuals in the IndieBound mission supporting local businesses and celebrating independents.