Raising Your Spirited Child Rev Ed
A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Ener
By Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
(William Morrow Paperbacks, Paperback, 9780060739669, 496pp.)
Publication Date: November 9, 2006
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Newly revised, featuring the most up-to-date research, effective strategies, and real-life stories
The spirited child—often called "difficult" or "strong-willed"—possesses traits we value in adults yet find challenging in children. Research shows that spirited kids are wired to be "more"—by temperament, they are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and uncomfortable with change than the average child. In this revised edition of the award-winning classic, voted one of the top twenty books for parents, Kurcinka provides vivid examples and a refreshingly positive viewpoint. Raising Your Spirited Child will help you:
- understand your child's—and your own—temperamental traits
- discover the power of positive—rather than negative—labels
- cope with the tantrums and power struggles when they do occur
- plan for success with a simple four-step program
- develop strategies for handling mealtimes, sibling rivalry, bedtimes, holidays, and school, among other situations
Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, M.A., is an award-winning educator in Minnesota's Early Childhood Family Education Program, and founder of the Spirited Child and Power Struggles workshops. She is the bestselling author of Sleepless in America and Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles, and she lives with her family in St. Paul, Minnesota.