The Collected Traveler: An Inspired Companion Guide
By Barrie Kerper
(Vintage, Paperback, 9780307390592, 624pp.)
Publication Date: September 15, 2009
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
THE COLLECTED TRAVELER
For Travelers Who Want More Than a Guidebook
Bringing The Collected Traveler along on your trip is like having your own savvy personal tour guide who knows the place intimately. This unique guide to one of today's hottest tourist destinations combines fascinating articles by a wide variety of writers, woven throughout with the editor's own indispensable advice and opinions-providing in one package an unparalleled experience of an extraordinary place.
THIS EDITION ON ISTANBUL FEATURES:
• Seductive, colorful, and in-depth articles that illuminate the dazzling treasures and monuments of Istanbul, from the Grand Bazaar to the Sultans' palaces; the delights of Turkish cuisine; the rich pageant of Istanbul's history; and the people and personalities that define it today.
• More personal pieces that take the reader beyond the usual tourist highlights, offering intimate reports on everything from the heavenly scent (and taste) of Turkish roses to the glitzy nightlife of this city of “minarets and miniskirts” to the unusual pleasure of being pummeled to within an inch of your life in an historic Turkish bath.
• Enticing recommendations for related reading, including novels, histories, memoirs, and the most useful guidebooks.
• An A-Z Miscellany of concise and entertaining information to arm you for your trip-on everything from Alexander the Great and Ataturk to Whirling Dervishes and Turkish Wine.
• Interviews, Q & As, and commentary from visitors and residents, ranging from the 18th-century society wit Lady Mary Wortley Montague to Nobel Prize-winner Orhan Pamuk.
• Spotlights on unusual shops, restaurants, hotels, and experiences not to be missed.
Barrie Kerper, a former journalist and avid traveler, is the editor of eight previous books in the Collected Traveler series.
"Perfect for both the armchair traveler and those who want to get up and go." —Chicago Tribune
"Part guidebook, part recipe book, part history book, part character study. A fat series of essays, interviews, critiques and travel tips, the collection is a delightful read from start to finish, mainly because the choices are so juicy. . . . Whether you're planning a trip or just visiting from the armchair, this is an engaging journey." —Denver Post
"Istanbul: The Collected Traveler unfolds before us a city so full of fun and adventure that to not want to explore is impossible. . . . [It] lets you fall in love with the history, but keeps you intrigued with recommendations for the present. If it’s your dream to get lost in the emotion and color of Istanbul, this book educates without making you feel like an outsider, with the hope that you will be just as much in love with the city as the people who call Istanbul home." —Bridal Guide Magazine’s Travel Blog