The Collected Traveler
By Barrie Kerper
(Vintage, Paperback, 9780307474896, 752pp.)
Publication Date: July 12, 2011
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
This unique guide to one of the world’s most beloved tourist destinations combines fascinating articles by a wide variety of writers, woven throughout with the editor’s own indispensable advice and opinions—providing in one package an unparalleled experience of an extraordinary place.
This edition on Paris features:
● Articles, interviews, and reminiscences from writers, visitors, residents, and experts on the region, including Ina Garten, André Aciman, Judith Jones, Mireille Guiliano, Naomi Barry, and Patricia Wells.
● In-depth pieces that illuminate such treasures of the City of Light as the bridges on the Seine; Parisian train stations; cobbled streets and hidden gardens; the peculiarities of the French language; the delights of French bread, chocolate, and wine; and much more.
● Enticing recommendations for further reading, including novels, histories, memoirs, cookbooks, and guidebooks.
● An A–Z Miscellany of concise and entertaining information on special shops, hotels, and museums not to be missed; French phrases and customs; boat trips on the Seine; Jewish history; antiques; spas; tips for shopping; and the most romantic spots in Paris.
● Recommendations for excursions to Chartres, Fontainebleau, Burgundy, Brittany, and Champagne.
● More than 150 photographs and illustrations.
Barrie Kerper, a former journalist and avid traveler, is the editor of numerous books in the Collected Traveler series.
“Perfect for both the armchair traveler and those who want to get up and go.” —Chicago Tribune