Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons
By Garth Sundem
(Three Rivers Press, Paperback, 9780307588036, 288pp.)
Publication Date: August 3, 2010
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Feed Your Brain
Tastier than a twizzler yet more protein-packed than a spinach smoothie, Brain Candy is guaranteed to entertain your brain—even as it reveals hundreds of secrets behind what’s driving that electric noodle inside your skull.
These delicious and nutritious pages are packed with bits of bite-sized goodness swiped from the bleeding edge of brain science (including the reason why reading these words is changing your hippocampus at this very moment!) Shelved alongside these succulent neurological nuggets are challenging puzzles and paradoxes, eye-opening perception tests and hacks, fiendish personality quizzes and genius testers, and a grab bag of recurring treats including Eye Hacks, Algebraic Eight Ball, iDread, Wild Kingdom, and Logic of Illogic.
Should you look between these covers and inhale the deliciously cherry-flavored scents of knowledge within, you will grow your grey matter while discovering:
• Why you should be writing bad poetry
• The simple keys to brain training
• What trust smells like
• The origins of human morality
• Why expensive wine always tastes better
• The truth about brain sweat
• How your diet might be making you dumb
• The secrets of game theory
• Why economists hate psychology
• The mental benefits of coffee and cigarettes
• How to really spot a liar
• Why you can’t make me eat pie
• The benefits of daydreaming
• Four simple secrets to persuasion
• Why your barin’s fzzuy ligoc alowls you to raed this
• How to brainwash friends and family
• The science of body language
• What pigeons know about art
…And much, much more.
GARTH SUNDEM is the bestselling author of Geeks’ Guide to World Domination and Geek Logik. He and his wife live in California with their two kids and a large Labrador.
More than 150 writers from 40 events will gather in New York City for PEN World Voices Festival of International Literature, April 28 – May 4, 2014.
For its 10th anniversary, the festival celebrates those who have dared to stand ‘on the edge,’ risking their careers, and sometimes their lives, to speak out for their art and beliefs. Join us for a wide range of events, including debates, one-on-one conversations, participatory workshops and performances in venues throughout the city. Use the code PEN14 (use PEN2014 for events at The Public Theater) and receive a 20 percent discount on most events. www.worldvoicesfestival.org