The 50 Greatest Movies Never Made
By Chris Gore
(St. Martin's Griffin, Paperback, 9780312200824, 256pp.)
Publication Date: July 1999
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Think you know Hollywood movies? Think again!
No matter how many movies you've seen, no matter how many trivia contests you've won, this book is sure to have some surprises for you.
The fifty flicks featured here aren't playing at the local Google-Plex or renting at your video store. These films never actually made it to the big screen---they're the gems that got lost in the Hollywood shuffle, consigned to Development Hell. Imagine, if you will:
* Alfred Hitchcock's The Blind Man, about a pianist suddenly given the ability to see
* Destino, the surreal fusion of two gigantic artistic talents: Salvador Dalí and Walt Disney
* The unmade Star Trek film, Starfleet Academy
* Greta Garbo's triumphant return to the screen that never happened, Lover and Friend
* A senior citizens' Animal House?!?
Each movie here is a treat for the imagination, and also a lesson in the dos and (mostly) don'ts of Hollywood. In here are dramas, sci-fi flicks, comedies, sequels, animated films, and biopics certain to stir the imagination! For the movie enthusiast, this book is a speculative joy, and for the aspiring filmmaker, it's a crash course in cinematic survival.
Chris Gore has been called "a pit bull of journalism" and the "Gen-X Leonard Maltin." He founded Film Threat magazine in 1985 and the popular magazine gave him access to scores of unfinished, underground, and cult films. He lives in Los Angeles