By Brian Malloy
(St. Martin's Griffin, Paperback, 9780312377618, 304pp.)
Publication Date: April 15, 2008
Other Editions of This Title: Hardcover
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Who is Brendan Wolf? It all depends on who you ask.
* To the staff of a Minneapolis nursing home, he's the devoted partner of a much older man who's recently suffered a debilitating stroke.
* To the women of a conservative, Christian pro-life organization, he's the tireless volunteer grieving over the recent loss of his wife and their unborn child.
* To one gay activist, he's the unaffectedly charming, yet directionless and unemployed man that he's fallen hopelessly in love with
* To his brother and his brother's wife, he's the lynchpin of a scam that will net them enough money to start their lives over somewhere new.
* To the general public, he's an armed and dangerous fugitive
All of these people - and yet none of them - Brendan Wolf is an ambivalent lover, reluctant conspirator, counterfeit Christian, and, most of all, an unemployed daydreamer obsessed with a dead man.
From the author of the award-winning The Year of Ice, this is a tour-de-force - a compelling, hilarious, heart-breaking novel about one utterly typical, and completely original, figure: Brendan Wolf.
Brian Malloy is the author of the award-winning novel The Year of Ice and Twelve Long Months. Originally from Philadelphia, he lives in Minneapolis and teaches fiction writing at Emerson College in Boston.