The Passion of the Hausfrau
By Nicole Chaison
(Villard, Hardcover, 9780345507952, 256pp.)
Publication Date: June 16, 2009
List Price: $22.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Behold, brave readers! Herein lies the first epic hero’s journey told by a mother–the Hausfrau, whose odyssey is a 24/7 adventure of pandemonium, sleep deprivation, madness, and transcendence. But beware! This journey is not for the faint of heart, as Nicole Chaison (a.k.a. the Hausfrau) boldly demonstrates in this brilliantly witty and vivid graphic memoir. The Hausfrau weaves a tale of sidesplitting trials and addresses age-old questions: Does a good mother have to give up her own dreams? What is a good mother, anyway? And is there a bathing suit that will fit her gargantuan behind?
And so the journey unfolds, illuminating all things mommy, including
• The Laborynth: an intricate maze of hormones, exhaustion, and ego struggles.
• the Björn Conspiracy: Can a mother go to the bathroom with a slumbering newborn tethered to her chest?
• Monsterfrau moments: Hell hath no fury like a sleep- and serotonin-deprived Hausfrau.
• the Unhip Mama: Piercings, spiky hair, and tattoos do not a trendy mama make.
• a Hausfrau Holiday Bake-off: yet another portrait Norman Rockwell forgot to paint.
Fiercely funny, wholly original, and sure to be recognizable to mothers everywhere, The Passion of the Hausfrau is filled with the messiness, meltdowns, mayhem, and bliss of modern motherhood.
Nicole Chaison is the creator of Hausfrau Muthah-zine, a quarterly comic book that chronicles the roller coaster of passion that is parenting. She wrote the James Beard Award—nominated Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean with chef Ana Sortun. As the Hausfrau, Chaison appears regularly on the Home Dad Show, broadcast on Maine’s WMPG radio. A one-woman show based on her stories–and also called The Passion of the Hausfrau–opened in March 2009 at the Portland Stage Company. She lives with her husband, Craig Lapine, and two children in Portland, Maine.