Stop Getting Ripped Off
Why Consumers Get Screwed, and How You Can Always Get a Fair Deal
By Bob Sullivan
(Ballantine Books, Paperback, 9780345511591, 309pp.)
Publication Date: December 29, 2009
List Price: $15.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Today's marketplace is full of hidden fees, fine print, and other booby traps designed to trip you up and take your money. You may be losing big even when you think you're getting a steal But with Sullivan's keen guidance and sensible advice, you can save money and regain control of your financial life. Clearly and concisely, Sullivan reveals
- why American consumers make such easy targets for corporate America (you'll be stunned, for example, at how poor our math skills are)
- how Wall Street will skim off one third of your retirement money (avoid this trap with Sullivan's new "Pitfall-Proof Pyramid")
- the myths behind credit-card reward programs and "the 21st-Century Bank Account"
- the real numbers to focus on when buying a new car
- why you should spend more time shopping for your mortgage than your home
- the key questions you must ask before buying life insurance
- the secrets to saving for college and paying off student loans the right way
- the best deals on cell phones and pay-TV service
With Sullivan's empowering message, financial savvy, and knowledge of consumers' wants and needs, you can outsmart the system, keep your hard-earned cash, and finally stop getting ripped off. And you'll become part of a growing grass-roots movement to rein in the abuses of corporate America before consumers get hurt by another boom-and-bust cycle.
Award-winning reporter and MSNBC blogger Bob Sullivan has been covering issues of online fraud and privacy on the internet for over 12 years. His new book is Stop Getting Ripped Off, a guide to sensible consumption. He shares tips with Terry Gross on how to avoid getting scammed by car salesmen and credit card companies alike. More at NPR.org
NPR Audio Player Requires Flash Upgrade: Please upgrade your plug-in to view this content.