Why You're Not Married . . . Yet
The Straight Talk You Need to Get the Relationship You Deserve
By Tracy Mcmillan
(Ballantine Books, Hardcover, 9780345532923, 224pp.)
Publication Date: May 29, 2012
List Price: $25.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
If you’re looking to get married and you’re not, there’s most likely a very good reason: you. Not that you’re a bad person—you’re certainly not! It’s just that you haven’t yet become the woman you need to be in order to have the partnership you want. So how you can grow into someone who is ready to say “I do” and to attract the same in a mate?
You start with this book.
Based on her wildly popular Huffington Post article—one of the site’s most-viewed of all time—Why You’re Not Married . . . Yet dishes out straightforward, no-holds-barred practical and proven advice for women hoping to head down the aisle or just have a great relationship. With sisterly insight, razor-sharp wit, and refreshing candor, McMillan points out the things that might be in your blind spot: unhelpful attitudes, behaviors, and beliefs so easy to identify in others, much more difficult to see in yourself. Then she shows you how to adjust them to get the relationship you deserve. Like a no-nonsense but loving best friend, McMillan meets you right where you are to help you get where you’re going—with clarity and honesty. And she’ll make you laugh out loud along the way. More than just a relationship manual, Why You’re Not Married . . . Yet will help you diagnose what’s preventing you from getting what you want. Do any of these chapter headings sound familiar?
• You’re a Bitch: How defensiveness and anger can hide behind a tough, take-charge exterior, and why being nice is never a sign of weakness.
• You’re a Liar: How to stop lying to men—and get honest with yourself—about the kind of relationship you really want. It’s the only way.
• You’re Shallow: Being a woman who insists on a tall guy is no different from being a man who demands big boobs. Learn why you should let go of trying to get what you think you should have and focus on getting what you need.
• You’re Selfish: The big secret about marriage: It’s about giving something, not getting it. The other big secret: You will have to go first.
Why You’re Not Married . . . Yet isn’t so much about getting a husband as it is about shifting your perspective on being a wife. Here’s a funny, insightful guide to becoming a more loving woman and creating a more loving marriage—even if you’re already partnered. It’s a book that will change your life and the way you think about relationships, and it may very well lead you down the aisle.
Tracy McMillan is a television writer whose credits include Mad Men, United States of Tara, Life on Mars, and Necessary Roughness. She’s the author of a memoir, I Love You and I’m Leaving You Anyway. She lives in Los Angeles and is the mother of a fifteen-year-old son.