Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy
Publication Date: September 20, 2011
List Price: $25.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Foreword by Morgan Spurlock
From the bestselling author of Buyology comes a shocking insider’s look at how today’s global giants conspire to obscure the truth and manipulate our minds, all in service of persuading us to buy.
Marketing visionary Martin Lindstrom has been on the front lines of the branding wars for over twenty years. Here, he turns the spotlight on his own industry, drawing on all he has witnessed behind closed doors, exposing for the first time the full extent of the psychological tricks and traps that companies devise to win our hard-earned dollars.
Picking up from where Vance Packard's bestselling classic, The Hidden Persuaders, left off more than half-a-century ago, Lindstrom reveals:
• New findings that reveal how advertisers and marketers intentionally target children at an alarmingly young age – starting when they are still in the womb!
• Shocking results of an fMRI study which uncovered what heterosexual men really think about when they see sexually provocative advertising (hint: it isn’t their girlfriends).
• How marketers and retailers stoke the flames of public panic and capitalize on paranoia over global contagions, extreme weather events, and food contamination scares.
• The first ever neuroscientific evidence proving how addicted we all are to our iPhones and our Blackberry’s (and the shocking reality of cell phone addiction - it can be harder to shake than addictions to drugs and alcohol).
• How companies of all stripes are secretly mining our digital footprints to uncover some of the most intimate details of our private lives, then using that information to target us with ads and offers ‘perfectly tailored’ to our psychological profiles.
• How certain companies, like the maker of one popular lip balm, purposely adjust their formulas in order to make their products chemically addictive.
• What a 3-month long guerilla marketing experiment, conducted specifically for this book, tells us about the most powerful hidden persuader of them all.
• And much, much more.
This searing expose introduces a new class of tricks, techniques, and seductions – the Hidden Persuaders of the 21st century- and shows why they are more insidious and pervasive than ever.
Lindstrom speaks to a global audience of close to a million people every year. He has been featured in "Wall Street Journal", "Newsweek", "Time", "The Economist", "New York Times", "BusinessWeek", and "The Washington Post "and featured on NBC's "Today" show, ABC News, CNN, CBS, Bloomberg, FOX, Discovery and BBC. His book, "BRAND sense", was acclaimed by the "Wall Street Journal" as one of the five best marketing books ever published.
His more recent book "Buyology" was voted "pick of the year" by "USA Today" and reached 10 out of the top 10 best-seller lists in the U.S. and worldwide during 2008 and 2009. His five books on branding have been translated into more than thirty languages and published in more than 60 countries worldwide. Visit MartinLindstrom.com to learn more.
Morgan Spurlock is an award-winning writer, producer, and director. His movie Super Size Me is one of the highest-grossing documentaries of all time, and earned him an Oscar nomination, and the Best Director prizes at the Sundance and Edinburgh film festivals. He has also produced documentary films, including What Would Jesus Buy? and the acclaimed television show 30 Days, which is in its third season. He lives in New York with his wife, Alex.