Out of the Easy
By Ruta Sepetys
Philomel Books, Hardcover, 9780399256929, 346pp.
Publication Date: February 12, 2013
List Price: $17.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
It's 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street.
Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.
With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel"Between Shades of Gray, "Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.
Praise for "OUT OF THE EASY"
Sepetys writes with rawness and palpable emotional unease the stakes are momentous. --"The New York Times Book Review"
Street-smart, literary and compassionate Atmospheric and assured nicely paced novel. --"Wall Street Journal"
* "A surefire winner. Immensely satisfying."--"Kirkus," starred review
"New York Times" bestseller
An Amazon Best Book of the Year 2013
A "Kirkus "Best Book of 2014
A Goodreads Best Young Adult Fiction Book of 2013
Yalsa Best Fiction for Young Adults nomination
Carnegie Medal Finalist
Praise for Out of the Easy:
“Street-smart, literary and compassionate… Atmospheric and assured…nicely paced novel.” --Wall Street Journal
“A satisfying novel, bringing to life the midcentury French Quarter…Sepetys writes with rawness and palpable emotional unease.” --New York Times Book Review (Editor’s Choice)
“A haunting peek at the life of a teenage girl in 1950s New Orleans.” --Entertainment Weekly
“Like her debut title, Sepetys’s latest is full of transporting writing, drawing you into a past that is fully reconstructed by her superb imagination.” --Boston Globe
"Unforgettable." --Toronto Star
* "With a rich and realistic setting, a compelling and entertaining first-person narration, a colorful cast of memorable characters and an intriguing storyline, this is a surefire winner. Immensely satisfying.” --Kirkus, *Starred Review*
* “[A]nother taut and charged historical novel… Sepetys has also built a stellar cast. Readers will find Josie irresistible from the get-go and will devour the sultry mix of mystery, historical detail, and romance.” --Publishers Weekly, *Starred Review*
* "A Dickensian array of characters; the mystique, ambience, and language of the French Quarter; a suspenseful, action-packed story. With dramatic and contextual flair, Sepetys introduces teens to another memorable heroine." --School Library Journal, *Starred Review*
“A page-turner that noir romance fans will gobble up. The legions of fans that Sepetys earned with her best-selling debut novel will all be lining up for this.” --Booklist
“This suspenseful novel…proves Sepetys's extraordinary versatility as a storyteller.” --Shelf Awareness
"Rough-edged and glamorous by turns, this is a wild ride worth taking." --Bookpage