English with an Accent
Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States
Publication Date: May 1, 1997
List Price: $47.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
In this bestselling textbook, Rosina Lippi-Green scrutinizes American attitudes towards language. Using examples drawn from a variety of contexts: the classroom, the court, the media and corporate culture, she exposes the way in which discrimination based on accent functions to support and perpetuate social structures and unequal power relations. English with an Accent:
- focuses on language variation linked to geography and social identity
- looks at how the media and the entertainment industry work to promote linguistic stereotyping
- examines how employers discriminate on the basis of accent
- reveals how the judicial system protects the status quo and reinforces language subordination
This fascinating and highly readable book forces us to acknowledge the ways in which language is used to discriminate.