What Every Person Should Know About War
By Chris Hedges
Free Press, Paperback, 9780743255127, 192pp.
Publication Date: October 2009
List Price: $13.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Hedges poses dozens of questions that young soldiers might ask about combat, and then answers them by quoting from medical and psychological studies.
- What are my chances of being wounded or killed if we go to war?
- What does it feel like to get shot?
- What do artillery shells do to you?
- What is the most painful way to get wounded?
- Will I be afraid?
- What could happen to me in a nuclear attack?
- What does it feel like to kill someone?
- Can I withstand torture?
- What are the long-term consequences of combat stress?
- What will happen to my body after I die?
This profound and devastating portrayal of the horrors to which we subject our armed forces stands as a ringing indictment of the glorification of war and the concealment of its barbarity.