The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing
By Sheila Turnage
(Kathy Dawson Books, Hardcover, 9780803736719, 368pp.)
Publication Date: February 4, 2014
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
The eagerly anticipated followup to the Newbery honor winner and New York Times bestseller, Three Times Lucky
Small towns have rules. One is, you got to stay who you are -- no matter how many murders you solve.
When Miss Lana makes an Accidental Bid at the Tupelo auction and winds up the mortified owner of an old inn, she doesn't realize there's a ghost in the fine print. Naturally, Desperado Detective Agency (aka Mo and Dale) opens a paranormal division to solve the mystery of the ghost's identity. They've got to figure out who the ghost is so they can interview it for their history assignment (extra credit). But Mo and Dale start to realize that the Inn isn't the only haunted place in Tupelo Landing. People can also be haunted by their own past. As Mo and Dale handily track down the truth about the ghost (with some help from the new kid in town), they discover the truth about a great many other people, too.
A laugh out loud, ghostly, Southern mystery that can be enjoyed by readers visiting Tupelo Landing for the first time, as well as those who are old friends of Mo and Dale.
Sheila Turnage is the author of New York Times bestselling and Newbery Honor winning novel, Three Times Lucky, as well as a guidebook called Haunted Inns of the Southeast. She lives in North Carolina.
"The perspicacious Mo LoBeau is at it again!. . . humor and action abound."
-School Library Journal, starred review
"Just as its predecessor did, this sequel shines thanks to Turnage's deft, lyrical language and engaging characters."
-Kirkus Reviews,starred review
"Turnage's ability to create convincing characters and her colorful use of language combine to make this a fresh, droll, rewarding trip to Tupelo Landing."
-Booklist, starred review
"The budding detective has clearly taken to heart something her foster mother always emphasizes: 'All the world's a stage, sugar, so hop on up there.'"
-Publishers Weekly, starred review
PRAISE FOR THREE TIMES LUCKY - Newbery Honor
- New York Times bestseller
- Edgar Award Finalist
- EB White Read-Aloud Award Honor Book
- "What do you get when you combine Because of Winn-Dixie's heart with the mystery and action of Holes?...Mo LoBeau is destined to become a standout character in children's fiction." (Kirkus Reviews, starred review)
- "Here is a writer who has never met a metaphor or simile she couldn't put to good use." (Publishers Weekly, starred review)
- "Turnage's lively novel features a distinctive voice and a community of idiosyncratic characters." (Booklist, starred review)
- "The heroine of Sheila Turnage's "Three Times Lucky" is so plucky that young readers may wish she lived next door." (Wall Street Journal)
- "A literary descendant of Scout Finch of "To Kill a Mockingbird" -- Mo LoBeau announces this novel's mystery from behind the counter of the Tupelo Diner: 'There's been a murder and we're out of soup.'"(Newsday)
"A rollicking sequel."
-Wall Street Journal