Citizens of the Sea
Wondrous Creatures from the Census of Marine Life
By Nancy Knowlton
(National Geographic Society, Hardcover, 9781426206436, 216pp.)
Publication Date: September 14, 2010
List Price: $26.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
As you read lively vignettes about sea creatures' names, defenses, migration, mating habits, and more, you'll be amazed at wonders like . . .
- The almost inconceivable number of creatures in the marine world. From the bounty of microbes in one drop of seawater, we can calculate that there are more individuals in the oceans than stars in the universe.
- The sophisticated sensory abilities that help these animals survive. For many, the standard five senses are just not enough.
- The incredible distances that seabirds and other species cover. Some will feed in both Arctic and Antarctic waters within a single year.
- The odd relationships common in the marine world. From a dental hygienist for fish to a walrus's one-night stand, you'll find beauty, practicality, and plenty of eccentricity in sea-life socialization.
Brilliantly photographed and written in an easygoing style, "Citizens of the Sea" will inform and enchant you with close-up documentation of the fascinating facts of life in the ocean realm.