Design It Yourself: A Design Handbook
By Ellen Lupton
(Princeton Architectural Press, Paperback, 9781568985527, 176pp.)
Publication Date: January 2006
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Not satisfied with the new T-shirts on sale at the local mall? Maybe you'd like a wedding invitation that expresses your own vision, not your party planner's? How about some personalized stationery? An upgrade to your website? A business card? A poster for your political campaign? A CD package for your band? Sound good? Then get up off your couch and Design It Yourself! Avoid graphic identity theft: build your own. Ellen Lupton, bestselling author of Thinking with Type, will show you how.
DIY: Design It Yourself, provides you with all the tools you'll need to create your own projects, from conception through production. Here you will find:
- simple ideas on how you can "think like a designer"
- clear and coherent explanations of design technologies, from silk-screening to web development
- what materials you'll need to get your job done
- where to find and buy them
- how much time and experience your project demands
- diagrams that show how to handle complex tasks
- basic typographic dos and don'ts
- the history and theory of the DIY design movement
- hundreds of innovative and beautiful projects for inspiration
No more excuses. With this book, virtually any design task is within your grasp. Just do it (yourself)!
Ellen Lupton is Princeton Architectural Press's all-time bestselling author. Her titles include Thinking with Type, Skin, Design Culture Now, Inside Design Now, and more. This book is produced with her students at the Maryland Institute College of Art,