Five Houses of Zen
By Thomas Cleary
(Shambhala, Paperback, 9781570622922, 192pp.)
Publication Date: April 15, 1997
List Price: $19.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
- The sayings of Pai-chang, famous for his Zen dictum "A day without work, a day without food."
- Selections from Kuei-shan's collection of Zen admonitions, considered essential reading by numerous Buddhist teachers.
- Sun-chi's unique discussion of the inner meaning of the circular symbol in Zen teaching.
- Sayings of Huang-po from "The Essential Method of Transmission of Mind. "
- Excerpts from "The Record of Lin-chi ," a great classical text of Zen literature.
- Ts'ao-shan's presentation of the famous teaching device known as the Five Ranks.
- Selections of poetry from the "Cascade Collection " by Hsueh-tou, renowned for his poetic commentaries on the classic "Blue Cliff Record. "
- Yung-ming's teachings on how to balance the two basic aspects of meditation: concentration and insight.