The Herbal Drugstore
The Best Natural Alternatives to Over-the-Counter and Prescription Medicines!
Publication Date: January 2000
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Ease Symptoms, Fight Disease, and Supercharge Immunity-- All without Drugs or Chemicals!
You're about to enter a completely different kind of drugstore. One where herbal medicines are offered right alongside conventional pharmaceuticals. Where bottles of feverfew stand next to bottles of aspirin, and echinacea has its place among other cold and flu remedies.
The Herbal Drugstore is the only place where you can compare mainstream drug treatments and their herbal alternatives for close to 100 common health problems. You'll find herbs that have the same healing powers as many prescription and over-the-counter medications-- only they're cheaper and gentler, with few or no side effects.
Whether you need fast first-aid or long-term relief, The Herbal Drugstore has a remedy for you. Here's just a sampling:
* Immobilized by arthritis? Rub on capsaicin cream, a natural pain reliever made from hot peppers (page 96)
* Can't sleep? Start snoozing with valerian-- it's as effective as Valium, but it isn't addictive (page 352)
* Want to lose a few pounds? Get a helping hand from psyllium, an herbal alternative to appetite suppressants (page 448)
* Feeling stressed? Calm jangled nerves with ginseng-- it won't undermine alertness (page 509)
* Battling bronchitis? Clear up that cough with licorice, a natural expectorant (page 129)
* Need help with high blood pressure? Turn to hawthorn-- it has much in common with beta blockers, except for the side effects (page 326)
The Herbal Drugstore features these and many more herbal remedies-- 712 in all! They're profiled right next to their pharmaceutical counterparts, so you can make your own comparisons and decide which treatments are best for you.
Linda B. White, M.D., holds B.S. and M.S. degrees from Stanford University and an M.D. from the University of California, San Diego. She is the author of Kids, Herbs, & Health and The Grandparent Book. She has written for many health publications, including Herbs for Health, Mothering, Nutrition Science News, and Natural Pharmacy.
Steven Foster, technical consultant to The Herbal Drugstore, is one of the most respected names in herbal health. He has written nine books on the subject including 101 Medicinal Herbs and Field Guide to Medicinal Plants (co-authored with James A. Duke, Ph.D.). A photographer and consultant specializing in medicinal plants, Foster lectures worldwide and serves on the advisory board of Herbs for Health magazine.
"A rich and rewarding resource for those who want the safest and best treatments for their most pressing health concerns."--James A. Duke, Ph.D., author of The Green Pharmacy