How to Get Any Job, Second Edition
Career Launch and Re-Launch for Everyone Under 30 (or How to Avoid Living in Your Parents' B
By Donald Asher
(Ten Speed Press, Paperback, 9781580089470, 240pp.)
Publication Date: October 20, 2009
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
Donald Asher, America's career guru, believes that success comes from an alignment of passion and preparation. First tip: Your college major has very little to do with your job options. In fact, you can get to virtually any life-goal destination from virtually any starting point. Stephen Colbert was a philosophy major. Chad Hurley, billionaire founder of YouTube, was an art major. And while we're at it, Albert Einstein was a high-school drop-out. Still think your college major will determine your life path? Think again.
HOW TO GET ANY JOB is the first book that definitively answers the following questions, and many more:
• What is "life launch" and how is it different from getting a job?
• Why do employers hire people like you?
• Which skills do employers value most? (They're not what you think!)
• How do non-tech people get hired and thrive in tech companies?
• How do you set yourself up to get promoted?
• How do you prove you have skills that don't show up on your transcripts?
• How do you get experience if you can't get a job, or have the "wrong" major?
• How can you get famous and influential people to help you?
• How do you hit restart if you get stuck in a dead-end job out of college?
• What should you do if you're a graduate and living in your parents' basement?
• What should you do if you're a junior to make sure you don't end up in that basement?
Whether you're twenty and still in college or twenty-nine and still wondering how to start your life, HOW TO GET ANY JOB offers the most creative and innovative thinking on life launch to date. It is used by college career centers nationwide.
DONALD ASHER is one of America's premiere career consultants and is the author of The Overnight Resume, Cool Colleges, Graduate Admissions Essays, and Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why. He speaks at over 100 colleges and universities every year.
“a clear process for job search that will work at any age.”
—Syndicated “Working Strategies” career columnist Amy Lindgren
“Career guru Donald Asher has updated his job search bible...perfect for every soon-to-be college grad who hasn’t thought beyond finding paid employment in order to get out of his parents’ house.”