Right Here with You
Bringing Mindful Awareness Into Our Relationships
By Andrea Miller (Editor)
Shambhala Publications, Paperback, 9781590309049, 224pp.
Publication Date: August 9, 2011
List Price: $16.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
In recent years scientists have discovered that mindfulness can reduce stress, improve mood, and enhance our sense of well-being. In this book, readers learn how mindfulness can be brought to bear in our relationships to increase intimacy, strengthen communication, and help us to find greater fulfilment.
Topics in this collection include how to open your heart and develop lovingkindness for yourself and others, how to improve communication through mindful speech and deep listening, noticing and counteracting destructive patterns, and discovering how intimate relationships can become a rich form of spiritual practice.
Chapters and contributors include:
• Zen teacher Thich Nhat Hanh on what mindfulness is and why it lies at the heart real love
• Psychotherapist David Richo on finding a partner
• Psychotherapist and meditation teacher Tara Brach on the power of forgiveness
• Rabbi Harold Kushner on striving to give love rather than get it
• Novelist Jane Hamilton on a marital meltdown—and recovery
• Meditation teacher Susan Piver on the value of heartbreak
• Psychologist John Welwood on relationships as a path of personal and spiritual growth
“What does ‘mindful love’ look like? How does it feel to be a ‘mindful lover’? Andrea Miller and the editors at Shambhala Sun bring us meaningful and emotionally satisfying answers to these questions from some of the most widely-respected teachers and writers on the subject. This pithy volume will enlarge your understanding of what real love is and show you how you can experience it in your own relationship. The authors included in this compilation are more than just teachers of the art of love: they are the companions on the path who offer their own experiences to smooth our way.”—Spirituality & Health