Your Mind Is Your Teacher
Self-Awakening Through Contemplative Meditation
By Khenpo Gawang
(Shambhala Publications, Paperback, 9781590309971, 230pp.)
Publication Date: July 2, 2013
List Price: $16.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
The practice taught in the book consists of a reflection on four subjects, known as the Four Seals of the Buddha's teaching: multiplicity, impermanence, suffering, and emptiness. Khenpo Gawang Rinpoche explains how to investigate each of these topics in a way that helps you recognize your innate wisdom mind, which is your ultimate teacher. Once you learn how to examine your own mind and your life with this method, you will start to look at everything differently. By helping to dissolve negative thoughts and habits, the practice can increase your focus, confidence, self-esteem, and happiness.
Along with exercises and questions, short readings, a glossary, and checklists for study, this book provides a complete handbook, with simple instructions for additional practices:
- the Ninefold Exhalation, a breathing method for expelling stale air before meditation
- visualization of buddhas and great teachers to inspire practice
- the practice of bodhichitta, or generating love and compassion for all beings
- the seven-branch offering, seven devotional thoughts to strengthen efforts
- dedication of merit--the positive energy from the meditation--for the benefit of all beings
Finally, the appendix gives translations of two short readings: The Wheel of Analytical Meditation by Lama Mipham, which is the source of this book's teaching, and the Heart Sutra, a famous brief teaching on emptiness, along with a traditional commentary.