Shake the World
It's Not About Finding a Job, It's About Creating a Life
By James Marshall Reilly
(Portfolio Hardcover, Hardcover, 9781591844556, 288pp.)
Publication Date: December 29, 2011
List Price: $25.95*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
James Marshall Reilly set out to capture the insights of today's brightest business and nonprofit leaders. He conducted in-depth interviews with Tony Hsieh (Zappos), Blake Mycoskie (TOMS), Shawn Fanning (Napster, Rupture, Path), and Jessica Jackley (Kiva, ProFounder), among many others. And he learned that despite their different fields, they're all using similar tools to seize opportunities and redefine success. Embracing a shift in generational values, these young people share a passion for driving powerful global change while creating sustainable organizations that often blur the old boundaries between business and philanthropy.
To really "make it" these days, according to Reilly, you need to break the old corporate mold, ignore the "rules," and create your own opportunities. The true game changers are the men and women starting their own businesses, inventing jobs that didn't previously exist, and committing themselves fully to attaining astonishing success, however individually defined.
Shake the World reveals the meteoric rise (and the occasional stumbles) of a new generation of business leaders. Reilly brings their stories to life and, along the way, offers clear lessons that you can apply to your own pursuits. For example, you'll learn firsthand how:
- Doug Ulman followed his passions to become CEO of LIVESTRONG.
- Blake Mycoskie of TOMS responded to ordinary events in an extraordinary way and created a sustainable organization that changed the face of giving and the lives of millions.
- Bobby Chang used counterintuitive thinking to build the global brand Incase and applies the same techniques to problem solving in everyday life.
- Jessica Jackley of Kiva and ProFounder harnessed technology in unprecedented ways to build a powerful network and enact palpable, transformational change.
- Elizabeth Gore took a small risk during college that altered the trajectory of her life and ultimately led her to become the executive director of global partnerships at the UN Foundation.
The role models in Shake the World define themselves not by money and title but by fulfillment and happiness. This book will light your path to greatness if you too want to shake the world. This is not just a book about finding a job. It's a book about creating an inspired life.
James Marshall Reilly is an entrepreneur, a journalist, and the founder of The Guild Agency Speakers Bureau and Intellectual Talent Management. His expertise lies in the branding and marketing of cutting- edge thinkers and connecting them with audiences worldwide. He is twenty- nine years old and lives in New York City. Visit www.shaketheworldbook.com