The Christmas Almanac
By Natasha Tabori Fried (Editor)
(Welcome Books, Hardcover, 9781599620695, 240pp.)
Publication Date: September 15, 2009
Other Editions of This Title: Hardcover
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
The Christmas Almanac is the ultimate Christmas book. Part reference, part anthology, part cookbook, part history book, part songbook, part shopping guide, part crafts, and part trivia book, this hefty volume with 200 color illustrations belongs on every family’s shelf. Each of eight chapters is a combination of elements based on its particular theme. They include:
• Classic Stories–from The Fir Tree by Hans Christian Anderson to Eleanor Roosevelt’s Christmas at Hyde Park
• Poems–including A Visit from St. Nicholas by Clement Clarke Moore and Lewis Carroll’s Christmas Greetings from a Fairy to a Child
• Recipes–American standards such as Sugar Cookies and Cranberry Sauce; classic recipes from around the world; Christmas drinks; and entertaining ideas
• History & Traditions–The legend of St. Nick, why we hang stockings and much, much more!
• Carols–complete with lyrics and music, from “Deck the Halls” to “Silent Night”
• Games–to entertain children and grown-ups alike at holiday festivities
• Gifts–where to buy them, what to buy, gifts to make, stocking stuffer ideas, tipping guides, and Christmas card etiquette
• Facts & Trivia–Where is a white Christmas guaranteed? Who made the world’s largest Christmas card?
• Shopping–Want to get your tree fresh from Vermont? Serve the coolest hot chocolate around? Send out the best fruitcake?
• Entertainment–celebrations around the country and the world, the best concerts, festivals, movies, music, and ballets
• Tips–How to have a “green” Christmas, make sure Santa writes your kids back, and track him on-line as he makes his way around the world
• Crafts–learn how to make tree decorations, orange clove balls, mini cookie & candy trees, cookie puzzles, scented sachets, and snow globes!
• Volunteering–cook and deliver Christmas dinners, make a child’s Christmas wish list come true, or participate in a coat drive–here are tons of options!
NATASHA TABORI FRIED is the managing editor of Welcome Books. She has conceived, edited, and produced numerous titles, including The Christmas Almanac and The Little Big Book of Love. She lives in New York with her husband and son.
"A fab, funny, and family-oriented guide you'll want to give as a gift this holiday. But make sure to keep a copy for yourself to bring out every Christmas. Eight chapters offer indispensable info on carols, classic stories, and crafts."
"The 200 plus beautiful vintage illustrations combined with all the wonderful Christmas 'goodies;' songs, recipes, poems and more has something for children and adults alike to share and enjoy!"