The Christmas Almanac
Publication Date: September 15, 2009
List Price: $27.50*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
The Christmas Almanac is the ultimate Christmas book. Part reference, part anthology, part cookbook, part history book, part songbook, part shopping guide, part crafts, and part trivia book, this hefty volume with 200 color illustrations belongs on every family’s shelf. Each of eight chapters is a combination of elements based on its particular theme. They include:
• Classic Stories–from The Fir Tree by Hans Christian Anderson to Eleanor Roosevelt’s Christmas at Hyde Park
• Poems–including A Visit from St. Nicholas by Clement Clarke Moore and Lewis Carroll’s Christmas Greetings from a Fairy to a Child
• Recipes–American standards such as Sugar Cookies and Cranberry Sauce; classic recipes from around the world; Christmas drinks; and entertaining ideas
• History & Traditions–The legend of St. Nick, why we hang stockings and much, much more!
• Carols–complete with lyrics and music, from “Deck the Halls” to “Silent Night”
• Games–to entertain children and grown-ups alike at holiday festivities
• Gifts–where to buy them, what to buy, gifts to make, stocking stuffer ideas, tipping guides, and Christmas card etiquette
• Facts & Trivia–Where is a white Christmas guaranteed? Who made the world’s largest Christmas card?
• Shopping–Want to get your tree fresh from Vermont? Serve the coolest hot chocolate around? Send out the best fruitcake?
• Entertainment–celebrations around the country and the world, the best concerts, festivals, movies, music, and ballets
• Tips–How to have a “green” Christmas, make sure Santa writes your kids back, and track him on-line as he makes his way around the world
• Crafts–learn how to make tree decorations, orange clove balls, mini cookie & candy trees, cookie puzzles, scented sachets, and snow globes!
• Volunteering–cook and deliver Christmas dinners, make a child’s Christmas wish list come true, or participate in a coat drive–here are tons of options!
Lena Tabori is publisher, director, and founder of Welcome Enterprises, Inc., a publishing and packaging company based in New York and San Francisco.
She has spent her professional life in publishing, beginning at Harry N. Abrams in 1967, which she later left to create Welcome and to cofound Stewart, Tabori & Chang, a publishing company. Love is an enduring subject for Tabori, who has previously edited Kisses, published by Turner Publishing, in 1991, and Love: A Celebration in Art and Literature with Jane Lahr for STC in 1982.
Lena Taborilives in San Francisco and New York City with her significant other, Frank.
Natasha Tabori Fried is managing editor at Welcome Enterprises. She was formerly an associate producerat the MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour andFox News Channel.
Christopher Measom writes frequently about travel. When not on the road he can be found in lower Manhattan editing books ("Kinsey") and writing ("The Little Big Book of Laughter"). He is currently studying with choreographer Pooja Narang in preparation for work on (and to write about) the upcoming Bollywood musical, "Marigold," which begins production as soon as the monsoons subside.
Timothy Shaner has created everything from direct response mail to packaging to film titles. Most recently his specialty is books, designing more than fifty ranging from the ridiculous ("The Little Big Book of Pooh") to the sublime ("Horst Interiors"). Having had a hand in both graphic design and sex for many years, he thought it would be interesting to combine the two.