B+ Grades, A+ College Application
How to Present Your Strongest Self, Write a Standout Admissions Essay, and Get Into the Perfe
By Joie Jager-Hyman
(Ten Speed Press, Paperback, 9781607743415, 256pp.)
Publication Date: July 23, 2013
Enter your zip code below to find indies closest to you.
This alternative college guide from a former Dartmouth assistant admissions director-turned-consultant gives non-straight-A students advice on the many options available to them and tips on how to identify, gain admittance to, and pay for the schools that will allow them to flourish.
Less-than-perfect grades? No problem!
Contrary to popular opinion, you don’t need to have a 4.0 GPA or a perfect jump shot to get into a good college. This insider’s guide reveals easy tweaks that will pay off big-time in showing admissions officers that you as a whole—not just your SAT scores—are a perfect fit for their incoming class. With stellar advice on getting into schools that will allow you to thrive, this handbook reveals how to:
- Find great colleges that are a good match for your strengths (and will overlook less-relevant weaknesses)
- Painlessly beef up your application
- Tailor extracurriculars to showcase your uniqueness
- Make sure your recommendation letters emphasize the right qualities
- Write original essays that reveal traits beyond your transcript
- Make an impression on admissions officers and college interviewers
- Create an early-admissions strategy to increase your likelihood of acceptance
- Help your chances if you’re deferred
- Get into brand-name schools through the side door
- Communicate about learning disabilities or special circumstances
- Get scholarship money based on attributes other than grades
- Customize your financial aid strategy
BONUS: Includes an appendix of 130+ selective colleges to consider!
JOIE JAGER-HYMAN, EdD, served as assistant director of admissions for Dartmouth College. After completing a doctorate in education policy at Harvard University, she founded educational consulting company College Prep 360. Dr. Jager-Hyman lives in Brooklyn, New York.
“So much admissions advice seems intended for high achievers aiming for hyperselective schools. B+ Grades, A+ College Application is a refreshing change. It offers wise counsel to the solid student looking for a good college fit as well as tips on how to maximize acceptance odds. While any student can benefit from the suggestions in this book, those with some Bs (or below) should be delighted to find that they are, for once, the target audience.”
—SALLY RUBENSTONE, columnist, “Ask the Dean,” CollegeConfidential.com
“The decisions made during the college admissions process can have a huge impact on your life. This book provides an expert-crafted road map for this crucial period.”
—CAL NEWPORT, author, How to Be a High School Superstar