By Lucas Peters
Moon Travel, Paperback, 9781631211577, 488pp.
Publication Date: October 25, 2016
Moon Travel Guides: Your World Your Way
Wander grand imperial cities, bask in the calm desert oases, relax on miles of Mediterranean beaches, and walk among ancient history: Morocco offers an incredible crossroads of culture for travelers of all stripes. Explore it all with Moon Morocco.
What you'll find in Moon Morocco
- Curated trip advice for culture and history buffs, beachgoers, adventure junkies, and more, whether you're in Morocco for a few days or a few weeks
- Full-color, vibrant photos throughout
- Detailed maps for exploring on your own, and useful tips on public transportation, car and bike rentals, and air travel
- Strategic itineraries for every budget, passion, and timeline, including: The Best of Morocco, Spiritual Pilgrimage, Best Beaches, World Heritage Sites, and Adrenaline Rush
- Unique ideas and activities: Cook your own traditional tajines in a restored riad, or treat yourself to world-class French cuisine. Hike the soaring peaks and jaw-dropping valleys of Morocco's four mountain ranges (by foot, or by mule ), or relax on miles of idyllic beaches. Sip refreshing mint tea and destress with a customary hammam, challenge your bartering skills at a busy local souk, or explore one of Morocco's nine UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Firsthand perspective from Morocco expert Lucas Peters on the country he called home for six years
- Focused coverage of Casablanca and the South Atlantic Coast, Rabat and the North Atlantic Coast, Tangier and the Mediterranean Coast, Fez and the Middle Atlas, Marrakech, the High Atlas, Ouarzazate, and the Southern Oases
- Thorough background on the landscape, plants and animals, history, government, and culture
- Handy tools including a Darija and French phrasebook with pronunciation guides
- Essential information on visas, accommodation, safety, traveling alone or with children, LGBTQ+ travel, and more
With Moon Morocco's myriad activities, practical advice, and insider tips, you can plan your trip your way.
Craving more international adventure? Try Moon Israel & the West Bank. Interested in exploring more unique cities? Try Moon Jerusalem or Moon Istanbul.
About the Author
Having spent the better part of ten years living in different parts of Europe and the U.S., Lucas M. Peters thought it was time for a change. In 2009, he took a job in Morocco teaching literature and composition at a college in a small town atop the Middle Atlas Mountains outside of Fez. When his plane landed he found that all of his luggage was lost. Two weeks later his luggage was returned, but Lucas had already had to shop at the local markets for food, clothing and other basic necessities without speaking a word of the local dialect. His unexpected immersion in Moroccan life made him fall in love with the country. Over the next six years, Lucas traveled throughout Morocco, from the date groves of the Sahara to the fishing villages along the Atlantic Coast. He's dined at Rick's Cafe in Casablanca, caught a ride on the Marrakech Express, gotten lost in the labyrinthine maze of the Fez medina, and followed the Beats in Tangier. Along the way, he picked up some of the language, made a few friends, and married his wife, a Tanjaioua from Tangier. Today, Lucas lives in Paris with his wife and son. Together, they continue to explore Morocco: the small towns dotting the national roads, the difficult-to-access mountain villages, and tucked-away beaches.