Indies First is a collaboration between authors, publishers, retailers, and readers that celebrates independent bookstores and local communities. Events and festivities, many of them featuring authors as guest booksellers, are planned in hundreds of stores for Saturday, November 26, 2016, in conjunction with Small Business Saturday.
Lena Dunham is the 2016 Official Spokesperson for Indies First. Read why she loves and supports independent bookstores here.
Bookstores are home to book readings, in-store cafes, and the delight at the discovery of a new author. Readers know that celebrating –and shopping in!– independent bookstores makes their lives and communities (and their bookstores) vibrant and vital.
Why Buy Books in Your Local Independent Bookstore?
- You may be about to make a purchase you'll value for the rest of your life
- You'll be shopping on your local main street
- You'll be helping create local jobs
- You might just find a book you never knew existed
- You'll find great gifts for friends and family
- You can talk to real people about books they know and love
- You'll be part of your local book-loving community
And that’s just the beginning.
Authors & illustrators: Join the Indies First Registry Here
Bookstores: Add Your 2016 Indies First Plans to the National Map Here
Indies First 2016 events for Nov. 26, Small Business Saturday, are indicated below.