Desire Lines (Paperback)
William Morrow Paperbacks, 9780060566944, 384pp.
Publication Date: August 12, 2014
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Orphan Train, and the critically acclaimed author of Bird in Hand and The Way Life Should Be, comes a novel about friendship and the memories that haunt us—includes a special PS section featuring insights, interviews, and more.
On the night of her high school graduation, Kathryn Campbell sits around a bonfire with her four closest friends, including the beautiful but erratic Jennifer. “I’ll be fine,” Jennifer says, as she walks away from the dying embers and towards the darkness of the woods. She never came back.
Ten years later, Kathryn has tried to build a life for herself, with a marriage and a career as a journalist, but she still feels the conspicuous void of Jennifer’s disappearance. When her divorce sends her reeling back to the Maine town where she grew up, she finds herself plunged into a sea of memories. With nothing left to lose, she is determined to answer one simple question: What ever happened to Jennifer Pelletier?
About the Author
Christina Baker Kline is the author of six novels, including the #1 New York Times bestseller Orphan Train as well as A Piece of the World. She lives outside New York City and spends as much time as possible on the coast of Maine. Learn more about Christina at www.christinabakerkline.com.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- “Desire lines” – the paths we take in life – play a major role in the narrative.Each character has an idea of where his or her path will lead. How does the reality differ from the paths they imagined in high school?generic viagra price canada
- Kathryn and Jennifer are very different. Jennifer is mercurial, beautiful, and self-centered, while Kathryn is quiet, unassuming, and somewhat lacking a sense of self. What do you think it is that draws them towards one another?generic viagra price canada
- Hunter tells Kathryn that she is better off with Jennifer gone.Is this true? How might Kathryn’s life have been different if Jennifer never disappeared? What did she gain from the experience of loss?generic viagra price canada
- The author does a fantastic job of detailing the complex and nuanced interpersonal dramas of high school, and how they continue to influence us into adulthood.Can you recall an incident or a person from high school that still affects you?generic viagra price canada
- How does the author use music to evoke a sense of time and place?The music of Kathryn’s adolescence resonates throughout her emotional journey. What affect does this have on you, the reader? Why do you think music is so important during our formative years?generic viagra price canada
- How does Kathryn’s relationship with her mother evolve over the course of the book? Do you think the shift in their dynamic has anything to do with Kathryn’s investigation?generic viagra price canada
- Do you think Kathryn’s burgeoning relationship with Jack signifies a positive change or a return to bad habits? How will this relationship be different from those she’s had in the past?generic viagra price canada
- Rosie, the therapist, believes that Jennifer’s disappearance put Kathryn in an arrested state of development.She has been afraid to make any choices, or move on, because moving on means giving up. Do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not?generic viagra price canada
- We don’t spend many pages actually observing Jennifer in scene, but the interviews Kathryn conducts paint a very intriguing portrait. At the end of the book, what impression of Jennifer are you left with?generic viagra price canada
- Of the six friends, who do you most identify with, and why? Do you agree with Hunter’s theory that people don’t change? In what ways have you changed since high school?generic viagra price canada
- The choices we make, and the consequences they have, are a major theme in the book.Which of Kathryn’s choices do you agree with? What were some instances when you thought she should have chosen differently?generic viagra price canada
- Just for fun: if you had to come up with yearbook superlatives for each of the characters in the book, what would they be?generic viagra price canada