The Scavengers (Hardcover)
HarperCollins, 9780062026163, 322pp.
Publication Date: September 2, 2014
Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember meets Louis Sachar's Holes in this imaginative and hilarious middle grade novel from New York Times bestselling author Michael Perry.
When the world started to fall apart, the government gave everyone two choices: move into the Bubble Cities...or take their chances outside. Maggie's family chose to live in the world that was left behind. Deciding it's time to grow up and grow tough, Maggie rechristens herself "Ford Falcon"--a name inspired by the beat-up car she finds at a nearby junkyard. Ford's family goes to this junkyard to scavenge for things they can use or barter with the other people who live OutBubble. Her family has been able to survive this brave new world by working together. But when Ford comes home one day to discover her home ransacked and her family missing, she must find the strength to rescue her loved ones with the help of some unlikely friends.
The Scavengers is a wholly original tween novel that combines an action-packed adventure, a heartfelt family story, and a triumphant journey of self-discovery in a world where one person's junk is another person's key to survival. Katherine Applegate, author of the Newbery Medal winner The One and Only Ivan, raves "Michael Perry pulls out all the stops in this colorful tale."
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- If you lived in the world of The Scavengers, would you choose to live inside our outside of the Bubble cities? Why?generic viagra price canada
- The narrator changes her identity from Maggie to Ford Falcon, assigning characteristics to each name. Which is her true identity? Can she be both?generic viagra price canada
- Maggie’s mom says, “Just because our life is rough around the edges doesn’t mean we have to be rough around the edges.” How do Maggie and her family adapt differently to their ‘rough lives’? What similarities and differences do you see between Maggie’s family and your family?generic viagra price canada
- What is the significance of The American Boy’s Handy Book? Why do you think Toad gave that specific book to Maggie?generic viagra price canada
- When Maggie’s family disappears she is forced to take on many responsibilities. Which challenge do you think was most difficult for her? What new challenges arise after Maggie finds her parents?generic viagra price canada