Lulu in the Sky: A Daughter of Cambodia Finds Love, Healing, and Double Happiness (Paperback)
A Daughter of Cambodia Finds Love, Healing, and Double Happiness
Harper Perennial, 9780062091918, 330pp.
Publication Date: April 17, 2012
Praise For Lulu in the Sky: A Daughter of Cambodia Finds Love, Healing, and Double Happiness…
“You can’t help liking and admiring this young woman. . . . [A] lively, humorous account . . . when you arrive at the hard-earned happy ending, it’s with a sigh of deep relief.”
“Loung Ung makes Lulu in the Sky shimmer with renewal after the Cambodian killing fields”
-Cleveland Plain Dealer
“Ung’s writing is clear-headed, honest and compelling; much of what she describes, from the brutalities she and her family endured to the ways it steered her adult life, is deeply affecting.”
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- Would you agree or disagree that Lulu in the Sky is not only a love story about Loung Ung and Mark, but also Loung's love story with Cambodia, her mother, and herself?
- Compared to her previous works, Lulu in the Sky has many moments when Loung shows her humorous and silly side. What do you believe her intention is in sharing this?
- Why does Loung kept her relationship with Mark a secret from her family for ten years?
- Loung tries to find "healing" in various forms—from activism to reconnecting with her family and returning to Cambodia. Does this work?
- Who are some of the iconic women that have inspired Loung?
- How is Loung able to reconcile the guilt of believing that her mother was weak and that she abandoned Loung?
- Describe how and why the activist, American Loung is protective of her sister Chou and her Cambodian family.
- What significance do the scenes pertaining to "fairy tales" and pop culture have in this book and Loung's life?