Lone Star (Paperback)
William Morrow Paperbacks, 9780062098153, 640pp.
Publication Date: November 24, 2015
From the bestselling, acclaimed author of Tully and The Bronze Horseman comes the unforgettable love story between a college-bound young woman and a traveling troubadour on his way to war—a moving, compelling novel of love lost and found set against the stunning backdrop of Eastern Europe.
Chloe is just weeks away from heading off to college and starting a new life far from her home in Maine when she embarks on a great European adventure with her boyfriend and two best friends. Their destination is Barcelona, but first they must detour through the historic cities of Eastern Europe to keep an old family promise.
Here, in this fledgling post-Communist world, Chloe meets a charming American vagabond named Johnny, who carries a guitar, an easy smile—and a lifetime of secrets. From Treblinka to Trieste, from Karnikava to Krakow, from Vilnius to Venice, the unlikely band of friends and lovers traverse the old world on a train trip that becomes a treacherous journey into Europe’s and Johnny’s darkest past—a journey that jeopardizes Chloe’s plans for the future and all she ever thought she wanted.
But the lifelong bonds Chloe and her friends share are about to be put to the ultimate test—and whether or not they reach Barcelona, they can only be certain that their lives will never be the same again.
A sweeping, beautiful tale that mesmerizes and enchants, Lone Star will linger long in the memory once the final page is turned.
About the Author
Paullina Simons is the author of Tully and The Bronze Horseman, as well as ten other beloved novels, a memoir, a cookbook, and two children’s books. Born in Leningrad, Russia, Paullina immigrated to the United States when she was ten, and now lives in New York with her husband and an alarming number of her once-independent children.
Praise For Lone Star: A Novel…
— Happy Ever After blog, USA Today
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- What do you think the title Lone Star means?generic viagra price canada
- What would it take to separate from someone who caused as much pain as Johnny had? Can you help someone who’s hell-bent on self-destruction? How?generic viagra price canada
- What role does music play in the story?generic viagra price canada
- Quote from book:Discuss. Do you agree or disagree? a. “Everything is a love story.”
b. “One day is enough for us to know all happiness.”
c. “Is it better to be lost and not know you’re lost, or to be lost and desperately try to find your way out?”
d. “There is something to see every place you look.”
e.“What single thing gives your life meaning that death does not destroy?”generic viagra price canada
- What country/city/place is your Barcelona? Discuss.generic viagra price canada
- Have you ever had a traveling experience that went wrong? How? Discuss.generic viagra price canada
- Should you wait? What if he doesn’t come back? Should you not wait? What if he does? And what’s worse?generic viagra price canada