Proof of Angels
Other Editions of This Title:
Library Binding, Large Print (4/1/2015)
From the critically acclaimed author of Proof of Heaven comes an unforgettable novel about hope, renewal, and the gift of angels among us—friends, family, lovers . . . and even mystical others—sure to touch your heart.
Sean Magee is a firefighter—a hero who risks his own life to save others, running into dangerous situations few have the courage to dare. While fighting a horrific blaze, Sean becomes trapped by flames and is nearly overcome by smoke. Just when it seems that all is lost, he’s led to a window—by what he swears is divine intervention. And then he jumps . . .
. . . into a new life. For years, Sean has shut down his feelings, existing in a state of emotional numbness. Coming through that fire, he knows that he can no longer be that man whose heart is closed to the world. But before he can face his future, he must confront his past and everyone in it: the family, the friends, the woman—and the love—he carelessly left behind.
Praise For Proof of Angels: A Novel…
“Ms. Curran Hackett offers remarkable insight into the human psyche as Proof of Angels is an intimate search into one’s soul to perceive what truly matters in life.”
— New York Journal of Books
William Morrow Paperbacks, 9780062279958, 320pp.
Publication Date: November 4, 2014
About the Author
Mary Curran Hackett lives with her husband and children in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- Proof of Angels opens with several epigraphs: which one resonated with you? Why? How do you think these quotes relate to the book?generic viagra price canada
- Each character has a different approach to life—Sean, James, Libby, Tom, Chiara, and even Chief have certain ideas about why they are here and what their purpose is. Whose approach do you most relate to? Does anyone’s belief upset you? Why?generic viagra price canada
- Do you see yourself or any of your loved ones in these characters? If yes, who? And why?generic viagra price canada
- Do you think Sean really saw an angel? Or do you think he was hallucinating and got lucky in finding his way out of the fire?generic viagra price canada
- Do you believe in angels?generic viagra price canada
- There are two types of angels discussed in this book: the type that is the mysterious “being” that supposedly points Sean to safety, and then all the angels in his life who challenge him, push him, support him, and give him insights, or rather, illuminate the truth of his life. Which type of angel are you more apt to believe in?generic viagra price canada
- Have you experienced a miraculous or unexplained event? Have you ever felt the presence of an angel or a messenger? When? What happened? Could you rationally explain it, as Gaspar tried to get Sean to do? Or did you feel strongly that it was truly a miraculous intervention?generic viagra price canada
- Have you had transformational moments when you saw the light? When you were saved? Or when a friendship or relationship made all the difference in your life?generic viagra price canada
- Sean tells Tom at one point that everything in life happens for a reason. Tom doesn’t feel this way. Do you feel more like Tom or Sean? Do think that there is a purpose for everything, even if it is beyond our own understanding? Does every life have a special purpose or mission?generic viagra price canada
- Both Sean and Libby must overcome their demons. They are, for the most Reading Group part, their own worst enemies. Do you think people who are “repeat offenders” at the game of life deserve a second chance? Would you forgive Libby or Sean for what they did to their loved ones?generic viagra price canada
- Why do you think Chiara is so quick to forgive Sean? Do you think it’s possible for time to heal wounds and to just grow up and move on? Do you think that she took pity on his injuries? If he wasn’t injured, do you think she would have been so kind?generic viagra price canada
- Chiara tells Sean: “It’s dangerous to think you know what is best for someone else. To make a decision for two people without the other’s consent. To decide another’s life for them.” Do you agree? Has this ever happened to you?generic viagra price canada
- Sean forms a few new friendships in this book; which one particularly resonated with you? Why?generic viagra price canada
- In the end do you think Sean found proof of angels? Where? When? How?generic viagra price canada
- What’s your proof? Or do you even feel like you need it?generic viagra price canada