Welcome to the Real World (Paperback)
Finding Your Place, Perfecting Your Work, and Turning Your Job into Your Dream Career
HarperBusiness, 9780062307309, 240pp.
Publication Date: April 22, 2014
The essential book every workplace novice needs—a smart, practical, and fun guide to help them navigate the minefield of personalities, learn to work with their boss, identify priorities, and ultimately kick butt at their first job.
It’s a challenging time to be young and new in the workplace. Your parents can’t help—the rules have all changed, and faster than guide books can keep up. In Welcome to the Real World, career expert and entrepreneur Lauren Berger arms a new generation of workers like you with the tools you need to succeed. She feels your pain. She’s been in your shoes. Just a few years ago, she was you.
In a world defined by uncertainty, she argues you need to be bold, take risks, and understand your value. She shows you how to think of your job as a link that will eventually connect you to the opportunity of your dreams. It’s time to get comfortable getting uncomfortable, she advises. Her essential handbook tells you everything you should know to make the most of your first on-the-job experience, including how to:
- Think about “The Big Picture”
- Deal with rejection
- Effectively manage your time
- Navigate “sticky situations” in the office and communicate with different personality types
- Embrace entrepreneurship regardless of position, rank, or title
- Organize your financial situation and personal life
- Get promoted and (one day) take your boss’ job!