Under the Same Blue Sky (Paperback)
William Morrow & Company, 9780062326638, 352pp.
Publication Date: May 5, 2015
From the USA Today bestselling author of When We Were Strangers and Swimming in the Moon comes a lush, exquisitely drawn novel set against the turmoil of the Great War, as a young German-American woman explores the secrets of her past.
A shopkeeper's daughter, Hazel Renner lives in the shadows of the Pittsburgh steel mills. She dreams of adventure, even as her immigrant parents push her toward a staid career. But in 1914, war seizes Europe and all their ambitions crumble. German-Americans are suddenly the enemy, "the Huns." Hazel herself is an outsider in her own home when she learns the truth of her birth.
Desperate for escape, Hazel takes a teaching job in a seemingly tranquil farming community. But the idyll is cracked when she acquires a mysterious healing power--a gift that becomes a curse as the locals' relentless demand for "miracles" leads to tragedy.
Hazel, determined to find answers, traces her own history back to a modern-day castle that could hold the truth about her past. There Hazel befriends the exiled, enigmatic German baron and forges a bond with the young gardener, Tom. But as America is shattered by war and Tom returns battered by shell-shock, Hazel's healing talents alone will not be enough to protect those close to her, or to safeguard her dreams of love and belonging. She must reach inside to discover that sometimes the truth is not so far away, that the simplest of things can lead to the extraordinary.
Filled with rich historical details and intriguing, fully realized characters, Under the Same Blue Sky is the captivating story of one woman's emergence into adulthood amid the tumult of war.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- Hazel’s mother sees signs of an extraordinary future for her daughter. While Hazel’s healing powers in Galway are certainly extraordinary, in what other, quieter ways does her mother’s prediction come true?generic viagra price canada
- Discuss the nuanced nature of Hazel’s sudden gift of healing powers. How might a similar gift play out in your community?generic viagra price canada
- What roles does Ben Robinson play in Hazel’s journey throughout the novel?generic viagra price canada
- Hazel’s journey is often driven by dreams of the past and of the future. Can you compare this to your own experience?generic viagra price canada
- How are the qualities of air—smoke, fog, blue sky—woven into the plot and themes of Under the Same Blue Sky?generic viagra price canada
- Hazel, Tom, and Georg were in various ways “orphaned.” How does this fact help bring them together?generic viagra price canada
- As Hazel gradually discovers, the legacy of her birth mother, Margit Brandt, is complex. What challenges and unexpected gifts comprise this legacy?generic viagra price canada
- What experiences help prepare Hazel for the challenge of life with Tom when he returns shell shocked, or as he would be diagnosed today, with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?generic viagra price canada
- The communities in this novel struggle with cultural and ethnic diversity. How has this struggle changed or not changed in the last century?generic viagra price canada
- “We’re not the same,” Jim Burnett says after the war. How does the experience of World War I transform characters and communities in this novel?generic viagra price canada