Promises to Keep
A Novel (Savannah Skies #2)
In this heartwarming sequel to Promises of the Heart in the Savannah Skies series, USA Today bestselling author Nan Rossiter returns to Tybee Island off the Georgia coast to focus on beloved characters Maeve and Gage as their relationship is tested by secrets they are keeping from each other.
Thirty-four-year-old Maeve Lindstrom loves her job at Willow Pond Senior Care. Her older sister Macey thinks Maeve is the only human being on earth who can make working in a nursing home sound like fun. Maeve enjoys being around the sundowners, as she calls them, helping them navigate their senior years—brightening a time that can be, all too often, a lonely, sad stage of life.
Thirty-three-year-old Gage Tennyson—who brings his mischievous yellow Lab, Gus, to whatever restoration job he is working on with Macey’s husband, Ben—loves Maeve with all his heart. He’s a handsome country boy and a true southern gentleman. But as he and Maeve grow closer, they both sense that they haven’t been completely forthcoming about their pasts.
When Maeve realizes Gage might be planning to propose, she knows she must finally be honest with everyone she holds dear. She can no longer live with the secret she’s been dragging around like an anchor, and she knows the only way she will be free to build a lifetime relationship with Gage is to risk everything—including his (and her family’s) love and respect. Before she finds the courage, however, her past comes careening into her life in a shocking and unexpected way.
Harper Paperbacks, 9780062917751, 320pp.
Publication Date: April 27, 2021
About the Author
Nan Rossiter is the award-winning and bestselling author of seven novels, including The Gin & Chowder Club. Nan lives in Connecticut with her husband, Bruce, and a noble black Lab named Finn. They are the parents of two handsome sons who have decided to grow up and strike out on life journeys of their own. When she’s not working, Nan enjoys hiking or curling up with a good book.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
1. Maeve and Gage have both kept long-held secrets about events that have shaped their lives, and even though they happened long ago, Maeve feels their unwillingness to be forthcoming with each other has put a wall between them. Why does she feel this way?
2. Gage stoically internalize his heartaches. How does this affect his outlook on life and his ability to move forward?
3. Mason seems unwilling to commit to a promise his mom wants him to keep. Why is this? When did you figure out what the promise is?
4. Maeve has a wonderfully upbeat personality that all the old folks at Willow Pond seem to love. How do they respond to her? Who is your favorite character there and why?
5. How does the death of the fox foreshadow the future?
6. Gage is very angry when he learns about Mason. Is his reaction justified or over the top?
7. Gage and Mason both deal with the pending loss of a parent. How do their responses differ?
8. When Mason loses his mom, his grief is overwhelming. When Gage loses his dad, he feels numb and empty. Why do you think this is? How do they each come to terms with their loss and move on? In what way(s) does Mason honor his mom?
9. Maeve is crushed when Gage breaks off their relationship. She prays for guidance. How does she receive it? Have you ever received God’sguidance through a friend or mentor?
10. Gage finishes his pencil drawing of his grandfather (Dutch) and enters it in a contest. How does this symbolize his willingness to take a chance as well as the resiliency of human nature? How does the resulting opportunity show that life often comes full circle?
11. When Gage and Maeve head home after the funeral, they stop in amazement and wonder to watch the cows standing solemnly under the ancient oak tree. Do you think the animals understand what has happened?
12. Throughout the book, many promises are made and kept. What are some of them?