Me Before You (Paperback)
Penguin Books, 9780143124542, 369pp.
Publication Date: July 30, 2013
January 2013 Indie Next List
— Susan Taylor, Market Block Books, Troy, NY
View the List
They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose . . . Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life--steady boyfriend, close family--who has barely been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life--big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel--and now he's pretty sure he cannot live the way he is. Will is acerbic, moody, bossy--but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living. A Love Story for this generation and perfect for fans of John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, Me Before You brings to life two people who couldn't have less in common--a heartbreakingly romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart?
About the Author
Praise For Me Before You…
Praise for ME BEFORE YOU:
"A hilarious, heartbreaking, riveting novel . . . I will stake my reputation on this book."
—Anne Lamott, People Magazine
“When I finished this novel, I didn’t want to review it: I wanted to reread it. . . . an affair to remember.”
—New York Times Book Review, Liesl Schillinger
“An unlikely love story . . . To be devoured like candy, between tears.”
—O, The Oprah Magazine
“Funny and moving but never predictable.”
—USA Today (****)
“Funny, surprising and heartbreaking, populated with characters who are affecting and amusing . . . This is a thought-provoking, thoroughly entertaining novel that captures the complexity of love”
“Masterful . . . a heartbreaker in the best sense . . . Me Before You is achingly hard to read at moments, and yet such a joy.”
—New York Daily News
“READ IT AND WEEP: Heartbreak collides with humor in Jojo Moyes’s Me Before You.”
“There are books that you cannot put down. There are also books where you become so invested in the characters, you force yourself to stop reading to prolong the experience because you don't want the story to end, and that's what can happen when you read Jojo Moyes' latest book, Me Before You. . . . You'll find yourself laughing, smiling, feeling angry and, yes, crying. My only suggestion: Me Before You should be sold with a pack of tissues.”
—The Associated Press
"Jojo Moyes has written the perfect modern love story. You will be astonished at what you feel, and what you hope for when you are forced to face the possibility of your own dreams. It's that good. Read it now."
—Adriana Trigiani, New York Times bestselling author of The Shoemaker's Wife
“ME BEFORE YOU is a delicious surprise—funny and hopeful and heartbreaking, the kind of story that will keep you turning pages into the night. Lou Clark and Will Traynor will capture your heart and linger there long after their story has ended."
—Eleanor Brown, New York Times bestselling author of The Weird Sisters
“Some books make you stop and think, compel you to examine your own take on life or your position or stand on an issue. Jojo Moyes’s Me Before You will surprise you—it is impossible not to put yourself in the characters’ shoes and you will find yourself thinking about the choices you might make if life changed in an instant. I loved it.”
—Lee Woodruff, New York Times bestselling author of Those We Love Most
"A lovely novel, both nontraditional and enthralling."
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
“Moyes’ twisting, turning, heartbreaking novel raises provocative moral questions while developing a truly unique relationship between two people brought together by chance. With shades of David Nicholls’ beloved One Day, Me Before You is the kind of book you simply can’t put down—even when you realize you don’t want to see it end. . . . A big-hearted, beautifully written story that teaches us it is never too late to truly start living.”
"Moyes’ latest is made heartwarming, thanks to the vibrancy of its main characters, both of whom will keep readers on their toes with their chemistry and witty repartee. . . .humorous and romantic through and through."
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- If you were Louisa, would you have quit working for the Traynors? If yes, at what point?
- Were you able to relate to the way Will felt after his accident? What about his outlook on life did you find most difficult to understand or accept?
- Discuss the meaning of the novel’s title. To whom do the “me” and “you” refer?
- Louisa often finds Mrs. Traynor cold and judgmental. Is there an appropriate way to behave in Mrs. Traynor’s situation?
- What is your opinion of Mr. Traynor? Did it change after you read his side of the story?
- Why is Louisa able to reach Will when so many others could not?
- Were you as surprised as Lou to learn of Will’s plans?
- Compare Louisa’s relationship with Treena to Will’s relationship with Georgina. Do siblings know one another any better simply because they are related?
- Would Patrick have asked Louisa to move in with him if he hadn’t felt threatened by Will? If Louisa had never accepted her job with the Traynors, where would her relationship with Patrick have gone?
- Discuss Louisa’s own secret ties to the castle. Would most girls in her situation have blamed themselves? Should Treena have behaved differently in the aftermath?
- What did you make of the way Lou’s mother, Josie, judges Lou’s decisions regarding Will. Is Josie’s reaction fair?
- Before his accident, Will was a philanderer and a corporate raider who would probably never have given Louisa a second look. Why is it that people are so often unable to see what’s truly important until they’ve experienced loss?