Ana of California (Paperback)
Penguin Books, 9780143126492, 368pp.
Publication Date: June 30, 2015
List Price: 16.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
A modern take on the classic coming-of-age novel, inspired by Anne of Green Gables In the grand tradition of Anne of Green Gables, Bridget Jones's Diary, and The Three Weissmanns of Westport, Andi Teran's captivating debut novel offers a contemporary twist on a beloved classic. Fifteen-year-old orphan Ana Cortez has just blown her last chance with a foster family. It's a group home next--unless she agrees to leave East Los Angeles for a farm trainee program in Northern California. When she first arrives, Ana can't tell a tomato plant from a blackberry bush, and Emmett Garber is skeptical that this slight city girl can be any help on his farm. His sister Abbie, however, thinks Ana might be just what they need. Ana comes to love Garber Farm, and even Emmett has to admit that her hard work is an asset. But when she inadvertently stirs up trouble in town, Ana is afraid she might have ruined her last chance at finding a place to belong.
About the Author
ANDI TERAN, a native of El Paso, Texas, currently lives in Los Angeles. Ana of California is her first novel.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- Lupe Saucedo knows that Ana’s last foster situation was far from ideal, but she’s unable to place her with another family. Should Lupe have taken Ana in herself? Does Lupe have Ana’s best interests at heart?generic viagra price canada
- On the ride home from the airport, Emmett warms to Ana after learning that she likes Neil Young. Later, Ana and Rye bond over their shared love of the band Hex. Music can be a powerful force that brings strangers together. Why might this be?generic viagra price canada
- Why is Abbie so nervous when Ana arrives at the farm? Should Abbie have told Ana about Josie and why she left in order to prevent future misunderstandings?generic viagra price canada
- What does Miranda’s mistake about “Mexican Coke” say about her? Do Miranda’s later actions redeem her initial treatment of Ana?generic viagra price canada
- Ana’s parents were gang members who were involved in illegal activities and eventually murdered by a rival gang. Even though Ana was just a young child, she fears that prison—or worse—is her “destiny.” How do kids like Ana come to believe that they are criminals without even committing a crime?generic viagra price canada
- Once the school year starts, Ana, Rye, and Brady are harassed by some of the popular kids and eat lunch together at “the official weirdo table” (p. 196). How well does the author capture the realities of being a teenager?generic viagra price canada
- When Vic, Rolo, and Rene are tempted to leave the Garbers and begin working at the Keyserville farm for higher pay, it’s Ana who convinces them to stay. Besides helping Emmett pay their full wages, how does Ana persuade them to change their minds?generic viagra price canada
- Why does Abbie find it so difficult to believe that Will is interested in her romantically? Would their ages make any difference if Will were the older of the two?generic viagra price canada
- What are some ways in which Ana is similar to the heroine of Anne of Green Gables? What are some ways in which she’s different?generic viagra price canada
- Besides Ana, who is your favorite character? What is it about him or her that appeals to you?generic viagra price canada
- Would Cole’s mother have objected to Ana’s relationship with Cole if she hadn’t been living with the Garbers?generic viagra price canada
- After Rye told Cole she was gay, he outed her to their classmates. How might he have handled this situation differently?generic viagra price canada
- Rye tells her parents that it was Ana’s idea to take psychedelic mushrooms even though her lie may cause the Garbers to send Ana back to Los Angeles. Does Rye fully understand what returning to L.A. might mean for her friend? Should Ana have tried to prevent Rye from taking them?generic viagra price canada
- If you were Ana, would you forgive Rye for jeopardizing your situation with the Garbers?generic viagra price canada