Love by the Book (Paperback)
Penguin Books, 9780143127284, 336pp.
Publication Date: February 3, 2015
List Price: 16.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
A laugh-out-loud debut novel that will delight fans of Bridget Jones's Diary and HBO's Girls Love by the Book charts a year in the life of Lauren Cunningham, a beautiful, intelligent, and unlucky-in-love twenty-eight-year-old American. Feeling old before her time, Lauren moves to London in search of the fab single life replete with sexy Englishmen. But why can't she convince the men she's seeing that she really isn't after anything more serious than seriously good sex? Determined to break the curse, Lauren turns her love life into an experiment: each month she will follow a different dating guide until she discovers the science behind being a siren. Lauren will follow The Rules, she'll play The Game, and along the way she'll journal her (mis)adventures and maybe even find someone worth holding on to. Witty, gritty, and very true to life, Love by the Book will have you in stitches.
About the Author
MELISSA PIMENTEL grew up in a small town in Massachusetts and spent much of her childhood watching 1970s British comedy on PBS. She conducted a real-life version of Lauren's experiment, meeting her now-fiance. She works in publishing and lives in London.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- Did any of the dating guides Lauren consulted seem appealing and if so, why?generic viagra price canada
- What do you think of the idea of a dating guide, in general? Is it possible to give universal advice when it comes to affairs of the heart, and if so, why?generic viagra price canada
- What did you make of the other relationships in the book—Tristan and Lucy, Meghan and her wife, Lauren’s parents, Cathryn and her fiancé?generic viagra price canada
- Would you say there was some common thread of success between these partnerships? A common thread of conflict?generic viagra price canada
- How did each new approach change the type of person Lauren attracted? Do you ever find yourself changing your behavior to encourage or repel different types of people?generic viagra price canada
- Lauren’s dating life consists of a pretty health combination of extreme joy and profound loneliness. Is there a benefit to the loneliness, and if so, how does it affect the moments of joy?generic viagra price canada
- What is Lauren’s attitude toward casual sex, and how does she evaluate it through the lens of each guide? Do you think our culture’s approach to this has changed recently and if so what is responsible for that change?generic viagra price canada
- What is the relationship between love and sex in a romantic partnership, and can you have one without the other?generic viagra price canada
- Given Lauren’s love of literature, did you find that any of her romantic partners had similarities to well-known fictional characters? If so, which ones?generic viagra price canada
- If you had to choose one of Lauren’s partners for dinner, a movie, and drinks, who would it be and why?generic viagra price canada
- Do you think Lauren’s story would be different if it was set in New York City? San Francisco? Cleveland? Or is a book about dating messy and terrible and wonderful no matter where it’s set?generic viagra price canada
Not Currently Available for Direct Purchase