Coping with the Seasons (Paperback)
A Cognitive Behavioral Approach to Seasonal Affective Disorder, Workbook (Treatments That Work)
Oxford University Press, USA, 9780195341379, 102pp.
Publication Date: September 1, 2008
Other Editions of This Title:
* Individual store prices may vary.
Do you find yourself becoming depressed as winter approaches? Do the "winter blues" affect your ability to get through the day? Do you experience a loss of pleasure in your daily life during the winter season? Does your mood lift with the return of spring? If so, you may be suffering from seasonal affective disorder or SAD. This workbook can help you learn strategies to overcome the "winter blues" this year and for years to come. It can be used as part of an individual or group cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) program, which may also be combined with light therapy.
To help you understand SAD, this workbook describes possible causes and how symptoms progress. Each chapter corresponds to a session of therapy so you can easily follow along with the program. You will learn effective techniques to reduce SAD symptoms and improve your mood. One important strategy is scheduling pleasant activities into your daily routine. Another is evaluating your thoughts and beliefs and changing them to be more positive. Forms are included to help you put these techniques into practice.
With your new awareness and skills, you can stop SAD symptoms from getting worse and prevent future SAD episodes. You do not have to give into the "winter blues" and wait for spring to feel better. By taking steps now, you can regain control of your life and increase your well-being this winter. TreatmentsThatWorkTM represents the gold standard of behavioral healthcare interventions
- All programs have been rigorously tested in clinical trials and are backed by years of research
- A prestigious scientific advisory board, led by series Editor-In-Chief David H. Barlow, reviews and evaluates each intervention to ensure that it meets the highest standard of evidence so you can be confident that you are using the most effective treatment available to date
- Our books are reliable and effective and make it easy for you to provide your clients with the best care available
- Our corresponding workbooks contain psychoeducational information, forms and worksheets, and homework assignments to keep clients engaged and motivated
- A companion website (www.oup.com/us/ttw) offers downloadable clinical tools and helpful resources
- Continuing Education (CE) Credits are now available on select titles in collaboration with PsychoEducational Resources, Inc. (PER)
About the Author
Kelly J. Rohan is Associate Professor (clinical psychology cluster), Department of Psychologyand Graduate Faculty member, University of Vermont, Burlington.