Reality Boy (Paperback)
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 9780316222716, 400pp.
Publication Date: September 23, 2014
About the Author
Praise For Reality Boy…
A New York Times Editors' ChoiceA 2013 Publishers Weekly Best YA BookA 2013 School Library Journal Best BookA 2013 Kirkus Reviews Best YA BookA 2013 VOYA Perfect Ten BookA 2013 Association of Booksellers for Children Best Book for ChildrenA 2014 YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults BookA 2014 YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Readers BookAn Amazon Best Book of the MonthA Publishers Weekly Book of the WeekA Winter 2013-2014 Top Ten Kids' Indie Next List PickA 2014 Texas Tayshas Reading List Top Ten Book
"A.S. King is one of the best Y.A. writers working today. She captures the disorientation of adolescence brilliantly.... Reality Boy is finally a novel about whether you are fated to the life the world expects you to have."
-The New York Times Book Review
* "Heart-pounding and heartbreaking.... a compulsively readable portrait of two imperfect teens learning to trust each other and themselves."
-Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "A nuanced portrayal....This is a story about healing."
-Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "King's trademarks--attuned first-person narrative, convincing dialogue, realistic language, and fitting quirkiness--connect effectively in this disturbing, yet hopeful novel."
-School Library Journal, starred review
* "King's writing is tighter, more focused, and better than ever....[An] intense and incredibly fresh plot."
-VOYA, starred review
* "King offers a compelling look at possible long-term effects of reality shows.... thought-provoking and ultimately optimistic."
-Library Media Connection, starred review
"Put down the remote and pick up Reality Boy--it's a showstopper."
-The Horn Book
"The hallmarks of [King's] strong work are there: magical realism, heightened emotion, and the steady, torturous, beautiful transition into self-assured inner peace. Like Gerald, it's wonderfully broken."
"[A] smart and sympathetic story about breaking free from the world's expectations."
"We all know at least one teen who needs a book like this; I didn't know I needed it until I turned the last page."