The Thing about Jellyfish (Hardcover)
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 9780316380867, 352pp.
Publication Date: September 22, 2015
List Price: 17.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
This stunning debut novel about grief and wonder was an instant New York Times bestseller and captured widespread critical acclaim, including selection as a 2015 National Book Award finalist After her best friend dies in a drowning accident, Suzy is convinced that the true cause of the tragedy must have been a rare jellyfish sting--things don't just happen for no reason. Retreating into a silent world of imagination, she crafts a plan to prove her theory--even if it means traveling the globe, alone. Suzy's achingly heartfelt journey explores life, death, the astonishing wonder of the universe...and the potential for love and hope right next door. Oddlot Entertainment has acquired the screen rights to The Thing About Jellyfish, with Gigi Pritzker set to produce with Bruna Papandrea and Reese Witherspoon.
About the Author
Ali Benjamin is a National Book Award Finalist for The Thing About Jellyfish, and the co-writer for HIV-positive teen Paige Rawl's coming-of-age memoir Positive as well as Tim Howard's New York Times bestseller The Keeper. She is a member of New England Science Writers and has written for The Boston GlobeMagazine, Martha Stewart's Whole Living, and Sesame Street. She lives in Massachusetts.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- How does the scientific method affect how Suzy deals with Franny’s death? How does it guide the structure of the novel?generic viagra price canada
- After Franny dies, Suzy decides to start “not-talking.” She claims, “In the end, not-talking means the same thing, more or less, as small talk. Nothing.” What brings Suzy to this conclusion? Do you agree or disagree with it?generic viagra price canada
- While researching jellyfish, Suzy learns about real-life long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad, who attempted to swim from Cuba to Florida four times only to be forced to stop due to jellyfish stings; she eventually succeeded on her fifth attempt. How does Diana’s perseverance relate to Suzy’s quest to prove a jellyfish stung Franny? How does it differ from it?generic viagra price canada
- At the beginning of the novel, Suzy dismisses her classmate Sarah as a mean, popular girl and her classmate Justin as a messy rule-breaker. How do her opinions of them change and become more complex?generic viagra price canada
- Right before Franny dies, Suzy slips frozen urine into her locker to “send a signal” that she has become a bad person. What else could Suzy have done to reach out to Franny? Do you think they could have become friends again?generic viagra price canada
- How does what Dr. Legs describes as “your own truth” differ from what Suzy sees as “the truth”? Are those concepts equivalent in your mind, or are they separate?generic viagra price canada
- Why do you think author Ali Benjamin chooses not to have Suzy make it to Australia? Are you disappointed that you didn’t get to meet the character Dr. Jamie Seymour? What may have happened if Suzy had succeeded in her quest?generic viagra price canada
- Jellyfish are amazing creatures! What did you learn about jellyfish from reading this book? What is “the thing” about jellyfish for Suzy? What significance do jellyfish now hold for you?generic viagra price canada