How to Camp in the Woods (Hardcover)
A Complete Guide to Finding, Outfitting, and Enjoying Your Adventure in the Great Outdoors
Black Dog & Leventhal, 9780316420815, 304pp.
Publication Date: May 7, 2019
List Price: 21.99*
* Individual store prices may vary.
Perfect for everyone from novices to boondockers, How to Camp in the Woods compiles contemporary and classic wisdom, practical tips, and illustrated DIY advice on every aspect of equipping, packing, setting up camp, cooking, and improvising no matter where you are in the great outdoors.
If you want to immerse yourself or your family in the natural world but still be warm, dry, and comfortable, How to Camp In the Woods is for you. How to Camp in the Woods will teach readers:
- Camping and survival basics including fire building, essential knots, site finding, wilderness first aid/CPR, map/compass reading, and camping off the grid.
- Essential gear, packing light, recommendations for DIY if you've left something behind, and how to keep everything relatively clean.
- Guides to camping comfortably in all seasons and weather, as well as tips and etiquette for camping around the world, including with pets and kids.
- Tips for enhancing the experience, including recipes for easy and inexpensive meals from 25 base ingredients, stargazing essentials, fireside games and songs, bird-watching, and the perfect campfire reading list.
About the Author
Devon Fredericksen has camped around the world and has backpacked and bagged peaks across much of the American West. She's worked as a sea-kayak guide in the San Juan Islands, has cycled across Central America, and has rock climbed in many of world's premier climbing areas. She coauthored 50 Classic Day Hikes of the Eastern Sierra and Greenfire, and her work has appeared in High Country News, Guernica, Yes!, Indian Country Today, Meatpaper, and Eastside magazine. She currently lives in Portland, Oregon.