Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer's Life (Paperback)
A Practical Memoir of the Writer's Life
Ballantine Books, 9780345478177, 224pp.
Publication Date: January 25, 2005
- why write? why keep writing?
- the importance of simple words
- the finer points of character detail
- narrative and the passage of time
- the pitfalls of technique
- making a plan-and letting it go
- risking failure-and reaping the benefits
- Accepting rejection
Writers travel alone, but Bret Lott's book makes the journey less lonely and infinitely more rewarding. Before We Get Started will help you make your work as good as it can be: "Pay attention recklessly. Strain to see through the window of your own artistic consciousness in the exhilarating knowledge that there is no path to the waterfall, and there are a million paths to the waterfall, and there is, too, only one path: yours.
About the Author
Praise For Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer's Life…
“Learning to write . . . is a desperately idiosyncratic, eccentric, single-souled, lifelong quest.”
–BRET LOTT from Before We Get Started