Britannia in Brief: The Scoop on All Things British (Paperback)
The Scoop on All Things British
Ballantine Books, 9780345509994, 238pp.
Publication Date: May 19, 2009
- the class system, title envy, and a thumbnail sketch of British dynasties
- highlights of the social season (yes, they have a social season)
- Parliament, prime ministers, and a wild variety of political parties
- British sports 101, including football (by which we mean soccer), cricket, rugby, snooker, and darts
- answers to the pressing question: What's on the telly?
- British culinary delights, from Marmite to late-night tikka masala
- odd pronunciations (e.g., how "St. John" becomes "Sin Jun")
- cockney slang, or why you should never get caught "telling porkies on the dog"
- Londoners' pride in the Tube and the truth about trainspotting
So whether you're traveling to England on business or for pleasure, dating a Brit, hoping to comfort a homesick Londoner (whip up a treacle tart, recipe included), or simply curious about life across the pond, Britannia in Brief is the perfect companion.
About the Author
Praise For Britannia in Brief: The Scoop on All Things British…
“A witty, irreverent crash course ‘101’ that all Anglophiles will love. Leslie Banker and William Mullins have bridged the great divide between two countries separated by a common language. A bloody good read!”—Anita Naughton, author of Tea and Sympathy
“Britannia in Brief is an indispensable guide. Better than Fromer's, shorter than the Encyclopedia Britannica, it is hilarious, clever, and spot-on. This book is perfect for every foreigner who wishes to talk local, and for every local who doesn't get out enough.”—Amanda Foreman, author of The Duchess