The Daring Ladies of Lowell (Paperback)
Anchor Books, 9780345802569, 304pp.
Publication Date: October 28, 2014
Eager to escape life on her family's farm, Alice Barrow moves to Lowell in 1832 and throws herself into the hard work demanded of "the mill girls." The hours are long and the conditions are bad, but Alice soon finds a true friend in Lovey Cornell, a saucy, strong-willed girl who is outspoken about the dangers they face in the factories . . . and about Alice opening her heart to a blossoming relationship with Samuel Fiske, the handsome and sympathetic son of the mill's owner.But when Lovey is found dead under suspicious circumstances, a sensational trial brings the workers' unrest to a boiling point, leaving Alice is torn between finding justice for her friend and her growing passion for the man with whom she had no business falling in love.
About the Author
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- How is the treatment of the “factory girls” different from the way women are treated in today’s work place?How is it similar?generic viagra price canada
- Did the descriptions of how much work went into creating simple piece of cotton cloth surprise you?generic viagra price canada
- When Alice first meets Lovey, she doesn’t quite know what to make of Lovey’s frankness and her high spirits.What was your initial reaction to Lovey?Do you think she is reckless or a woman ahead of her time?generic viagra price canada
- The Daring Ladies of Lowell takes place in 1832, ten years before the landmark decision in Commonwealth v. Hunt held that workers have the right to organize and strike, and more than one hundred years until federal law was passed prohibiting child labor.Why do you think progress has been so slow in protecting working people?generic viagra price canada
- Discuss Delia and Ellie’s difficult situation and the many parallels with the challenges working mothers still deal with today:a troubled marriage, battle for custody of a child, and the difficulty working women can have in securing adequate child care.generic viagra price canada
- Alice and her co-workers have a grueling schedule:thirteen-hour days, ceaseless physical labor, and only one day a week off.Could you make it through a “factory girl” workweek?generic viagra price canada
- Discuss the role respectability plays in the novel, and the consequences of the secrets that are kept to save reputations (as in the case of Jonathan Fiske) and to maintain the status quo (Dr. Stanhope’s knowledge of the poor conditions and health hazards at the mill).generic viagra price canada
- Alice forms a bond with a Samuel’s grandmother, who stands apart from the rest of the Fiske family. What does she represent and how has her influence shaped Samuel?generic viagra price canada
- What is Alice’s most admirable trait?What is her least admirable trait?generic viagra price canada
- What do you think the future holds for Alice and Samuel?generic viagra price canada