The Accident (Paperback)
Broadway Books, 9780385348478, 416pp.
Publication Date: January 6, 2015
List Price: 15.00*
* Individual store prices may vary.
From the author of the New York Times-bestselling and Edgar Award-winning The ExpatsAs dawn approaches in New York, literary agent Isabel Reed is turning the final pages of a mysterious, anonymous manuscript, racing through the explosive revelations about powerful people, as well as long-hidden secrets about her own past. In Copenhagen, veteran CIA operative Hayden Gray, determined that this sweeping story be buried, is suddenly staring down the barrel of an unexpected gun. And in Zurich, the author himself is hiding in a shadowy expat life, trying to atone for a lifetime's worth of lies and betrayals with publication of The Accident, while always looking over his shoulder. Over the course of one long, desperate, increasingly perilous day, these lives collide as the book begins its dangerous march toward publication, toward saving or ruining careers and companies, placing everything at risk--and everyone in mortal peril. The rich cast of characters--in publishing and film, politics and espionage--are all forced to confront the consequences of their ambitions, the schisms between their ideal selves and the people they actually became. The action rockets around Europe and across America, with an intricate web of duplicities stretching back a quarter-century to a dark winding road in upstate New York, where the shocking truth about the accident itself is buried. Gripping, sophisticated, layered, and impossible to put down, The Accident proves once again that Chris Pavone is a true master of suspense.
About the Author
Chris Pavone's novel The Expats was a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestseller, and winner of Edgar and Anthony awards for best first novel. Chris grew up in Brooklyn, graduated from Cornell, and was a book editor for nearly two decades, as well as an expat in Luxembourg, but now lives again in New York City with his wife and children. The Accident is his second novel.
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- What were your initial theories about Jens Grundtvig and the author’s identity? Did you think the manuscript revealed the truth, or did you believe it was a hoax?generic viagra price canada
- How did your perception of Isabel shift throughout the novel? Would her marriage have survived if Tommy had lived, or were the roots of the marriage too weak to begin with?generic viagra price canada
- Discuss the novel’s title. Were any of the tragedies in the characters’ lives truly accidental?generic viagra price canada
- The cast of characters spans shrewd assistants, a noble bookseller, and glamorous powerbrokers in the publishing industry and in Hollywood. Which of the characters were you rooting for? What would you have done with the manuscript?generic viagra price canada
- Although The Accident is a work of fiction, do you believe in the possibility of collusions between the government and the media to sway international power structures? Is there much danger in Wolfe Worldwide Media’s mission to “de-news the news” and “legitimize sensationalism”? (page 72)generic viagra price canada
- In The Accident, what qualities separate the survivors from those who perish? Who has the best business instincts in the novel? Is financial power ultimately a liability?generic viagra price canada
- Are Jeff and Isabel a good match? What keeps Jeff at a disadvantage in so many aspects of his life?generic viagra price canada
- Identity drives many of the plot twists in The Accident. Which characters stay true to themselves, even when they’re reinventing their lives? When have you found yourself having to play a new role?generic viagra price canada
- Stoking the suspense is the fact that Brad’s family business is on the verge of financial collapse (and takeover by Wolfe) unless he can acquire a blockbuster book. In reality, international media conglomerates have participated in ever-bigger mergers over the past decade. What are the consequences if the McNallys of America continue to lose their independence?generic viagra price canada
- How do the characters exploit each other’s trust? How do the alliances formed in youth haunt the characters long into their adult lives?generic viagra price canada
- How would you respond to the question raised on page 364 as Dave’s story unfolds: Who was the villain in this story?generic viagra price canada
- What do you predict for the characters who are featured in the final chapter?generic viagra price canada
- How does the publishing world featured in The Accident compare to your vision of it? How does it affect your reading to know that the author is a veteran of the publishing industry, making the journey from editor to author?generic viagra price canada
- What did you enjoy most about the reappearance of Kate and Hayden, who made their debut in Chris Pavone’s first novel, The Expats?generic viagra price canada