Other Editions of This Title:
Digital Audiobook (7/19/2021)
Doubleday Books, 9780385546812, 256pp.
Publication Date: July 20, 2021
About the Author
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
1. Does the main character actually transform into a dog, or is the transformation a fantasy of Nightbitch’s sleep-deprived mind? Does it matter whether the transformation is “real” or not?
2. In the book, the main character is only referred to as “the mother” or “Nightbitch.” Similarly, the husband and the son are both also left unnamed. Why do you suppose this is? What effect did it have on your reading of the book?
3. After an animalistic act of violence, the book lapses into extended backstory about Nightbitch’s childhood and mother. How does the information in this section add to your understanding of Nightbitch and her own story of motherhood?
4. The “performance of motherhood” is an idea that’s played with in this book. Where do you see this idea being animated in the book and what does this animation have to say about the nature of modern motherhood?
5. What are all the different ways in which you see creativity being manifested in this book? What are the parallels between raising a child and making a piece of art?
6. What are the messages Nightbitch has received about what a “good mother” is and how does she ultimately redefine this for herself? In the end, how do you think Nightbitch would define “good mother” for herself?
7. Can you explain how humor worked within a scene in Nightbitch? What are the benefits of including humor in such a dark and in many regards serious book?
8. From the idea of “working moms” to the herbal multi-level marketing scheme, how does capitalism effect contemporary notions of motherhood and how Nightbitch feels about herself as a woman and a mother?
9. How did the husband’s behavior contribute to Nightbitch’s evolution? And how and why do you think his behavior changed as the Mother became more Nightbitch?
10. What would have been lost if Wanda White and her book weren’t a part of Nightbitch’s story? What function does this phantom character play within the book?
11. Pretend you’re an art critic. What do you think Nightbitch’s ultimate performance is meant to communicate to the reader?