The Boy Book (Hardcover)
A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them
Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 9780385732086, 208pp.
Publication Date: September 26, 2006
Here is how things stand at the beginning of newly-licensed driver Ruby Oliver's junior year at Tate Prep:
• Kim: Not speaking. But far away in Tokyo.
• Cricket: Not speaking.
• Nora: Speaking--sort of. Chatted a couple times this summer when they bumped into each other outside of school--once shopping in the U District, and once in the Elliot Bay Bookstore. But she hadn't called Ruby, or anything.
• Noel: Didn't care what anyone thinks.
• Meghan: Didn't have any other friends.
• Dr. Z: Speaking.
• And Jackson. The big one. Not speaking.
But, by Winter Break, a new job, an unlikely but satisfying friend combo, additional entries to The Boy Book and many difficult decisions help Ruby to see that there is, indeed, life outside the Tate Universe.
Praise For The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them…
“RUBY’S OVERANALYTICAL, FAST-PACED and authentic narration will win over new devotees, while her loyal fans will no doubt hope for more.”
—Publishers Weekly, Starred
“Teens will relate to the situations that Ruby finds herself in and learn from her skills about how to cope with the ‘minefield’ of crises that today’s teens face.”—School Library Journal
“Lockhart achieves the perfect balance of self-deprecating humor and self pity in Ruby, and thus imbues her with such realism that she seems to almost fly off the page.”—VOYA