An Unseemly Wife (Paperback)
New American Library, 9780451469984, 309pp.
Publication Date: October 7, 2014
1867. Ruth Holtz has more blessings than she can count--a loving husband, an abundant farm, beautiful children, and the warm embrace of the Amish community. Then, the English arrive, spreading incredible stories of free land in the West and inspiring her husband to dream of a new life in Idaho.
Breaking the rules of their Order, Ruth's husband packs up his pregnant wife and their four children and joins a wagon train heading west. Though Ruth is determined to keep separate from the English, as stricture demands, the harrowing journey soon compels her to accept help from two unlikely allies: Hortence, the preacher's wife, and the tomboyish, teasing Sadie.
But as these new friendships lead to betrayal, what started as a quest for a brighter future ends with Ruth making unthinkable sacrifices, risking faith and family, and transforming into a woman she never imagined she'd become....
About the Author
Praise For An Unseemly Wife…
“Top-notch historical fiction...its characters will live with me always.”—Jenna Blum, Author of Those Who Save Us
“One of those rare novels of beauty and darkness, transfixing us with a place few can imagine and a narrator as fierce as she is true.”—Michelle Hoover, Author of The Quickening
“A harrowing and gripping novel.”—Randy Susan Meyers, Bestselling Author of The Murderer’s Daughters and The Comfort of Lies
Conversation Starters from ReadingGroupChoices.com
- In what ways is Ruth an “unseemly wife”? Do you think her answers would be the same as yours or different?generic viagra price canada
- What were your first impressions of Ruth and Aaron? Were they positive or negative? Did they change over time?generic viagra price canada
- Although Aaron’s actions ultimately lead to tragedy, do you think he was justified or unjustified in his determination to go west?generic viagra price canada
- Ruth, Sadie and Hortence represent three wildly different backgrounds and competing notions of right and wrong. Is one of them the most “wrong” or most “right,” or do all have equally valid reasons for how they behave?generic viagra price canada
- Do Ruth and Aaron have a good marriage? How would you compare their relationship to marriages you’re familiar with today?generic viagra price canada
- Have you ever gone along with something for the sake of a relationship? Was it for the best or was it a mistake?generic viagra price canada
- In many ways, the settling of the frontier changed the United States from a society based on community to a society based on the nuclear family. What have been some of the consequences of this change?generic viagra price canada
- How does Moore use animals to clarify the attitudes of people who care for them?generic viagra price canada
- How does Ruth’s relationship with God change over time?Is it a loss or a gain?generic viagra price canada
- What do you think Ruth does next, after the book comes to a close?generic viagra price canada