Music Composition for Dummies (Paperback)
For Dummies, 9780470224212, 336pp.
Publication Date: February 1, 2008
In this fun and practical guide, you'll learn how to match keys and chords to the mood you want to convey, work a form without limiting your creativity, and hammer out a musical idea, even when your mind is drawing a blank. You'll find out how to create popular songs, classically structured pieces, and even film, TV, and video game soundtracks. And, you'll learn what you need to know about music composition software, including Finale, Sebelius, Pro Tools, and more. Discover how to:
- Preserve and organize your musical ideas
- Work with established chord progressions or create your own
- Develop great rhythms
- Select the right instruments
- Find melodies in your head, your instrument, and the world around you
- Use major and minor scales
- Work with modes and moods
- Build melodic motifs and phrases
- Use the circle of fifths to harmonize
- Write for multiple voices
- Make a demo recording
Filled with creative exercises to build your composing skills, Music Composition for Dummies is the resource you need to get that melody out of your head and into the world.